• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Smithi or Hamorii?

Isilwen

3 Year Member
I'm hoping to get an ID on this red-knee. It was sold to me as a smithi. I was adamant that I wanted a smithi and not a hamorii. The breeder assured me that it was a smithi.
When I got it back in February 2020, it was like a 3/4 inch sling. Now I think it's about 1 3/4 inches to 2 inches. I'm not good with measuring them. So, it may still be too young to tell.

Sorry about the state of the enclosure, I know it needs to be cleaned, but I have been dealing with gall bladder issues and haven't been able to get in there and clean it.

So, smithi or hamorii?

IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The main differences between smithi and hamorii are in the chelicerae, hamorii will have lighter color stripes vs smithi being a solid brown or black. There are also differences between coloration at the knees and carapace, but the chelicerae difference is the most difinitive.

See here
(basically the same post and question)

Do your research :)

Latest posts