• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Slings vs dubia roaches

Tarantulateeth

So, this may be a silly question, and I apologize if it is....

But I know from experience (I used to keep a colony of dubia roaches for my beardie) that dubia roaches are quite tough/crunchy would a sling be able to eat/puncture one? Would they be best waiting until they're bigger? Or does size/age not matter too much as long as the roach is an appropriate size for the sling? Or would a freshly molted/white roach be better as it would be quite soft?

I'm just wanting some variety for my Ts, and I know dubia husbandry already (I hate crickets so please don't suggest them I'm open to anything else pretty much)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've used dubia quite a bit for my tarantulas. The baby dubia are much more soft than the adults. I think as long as the dubia is proportionate in size with slings or tarantulas you feed then it should be ok. The freshly molted dubia are even better for slings.

Astrozombies

I find dubia hatchlings a bit too big for most spiderlings. I use Turkistan (red runners) roaches for the smaller (parahybana, albopilosum etc...) spiderlings.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
In my exuberance, I may have gone big with the dubia for this sling awhile back. I believe i prekilled the dubia, or disabled it.

SmartSelect_20220724-214753_Video Player.jpg

Latest posts