• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Skitish red rump

hulk-smash

Hey guys quick question I have had my red rump tarantula for about a month now I am unsure of the age but I think it's about 3-4 inches across and everytime I open the cage it darts straight back into the depths of its hide I was just wondering if that was normal behaviour because I watch alot of videos and all their t's seem very placid and not so skittish

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What you are experiencing is not that unusual. Juvi's / sub adults, do tend to be more skittish than adults, it's what allows them to become adults. And for every 10 T's that are average for their species, there is one that is very unaverage. We have an adult female Brachyelma who is known as psycho*****.

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
Hey guys quick question I have had my red rump tarantula for about a month now I am unsure of the age but I think it's about 3-4 inches across and everytime I open the cage it darts straight back into the depths of its hide I was just wondering if that was normal behaviour because I watch alot of videos and all their t's seem very placid and not so skittish

A not-so-quick answer...

Sorry I couldn't post this in a more timely fashion. Every once in a while life gets in the way! In addition to the comments by M0LSX I would add the following.

1. Redrump tarantulas (Tliltocatl (Brachypelma) vagans) tend to be more skittish than many other kinds. Your little buddy more or less fits that mould. If you want one that will tame down nicely and that you can handle, try a curlyhair, Tliltocatl (Brachypelma) albopilosus (see the World Spider Catalog).

2. Be aware that male tarantulas, even immature ones, are generally more skittish than their female counterparts. If it's a male, you may simply be expecting too much of it. Do you know what sex it is? Do you know how to tell what sex it is? If not, get back to me. I can help.

3. At what temperature are you keeping it? There is a common misunderstanding that, because tarantulas are cold blooded, or because so many of them originate from tropical climes, they must be kept like tropical fish, i.e., at a constant, elevated, tropical temperature. Little could be farther than the truth. In fact, even the tropical kinds of tarantulas will easily tolerate temperatures fluctuating between 50 degrees F and 100 degrees F (10 and 38 degrees C, respectively) as long as the extremes are not forced on them for extended periods of time. And those kinds which originated from temperate climates and montane habitats, e.g., Aphonopelma iodius from northern Utah, USA, and a small species (Hapalotremus vilcanota) living at over 15,000 feet - 4400 m - in the Cordillera Vilcanota mountains of Peru - see ALAMY) manage to survive (because of special behavioural modifications) sporadic, brief, near freezing temperatures for a large portion of their lives. But, this does not mean that you should keep your tarantula in a refrigerator either.

If you are artificially heating its cage, be aware that you may actually be keeping it too warm, thus shortening your tarantula's life. In general, your tarantula may be kept at about any ambient temperature at which you're comfortable as long as you don't need to routinely dress in a ski jacket or wear swim trunks in mid Winter (unless, of course, you're living in someplace like Jamaica!). And keeping it at more moderate temperatures will help suppress its hyperactivity.

4. Move the tarantula's cage into a darker part of your home, and remove the deep hide. Instead, supply it with something that's more open, not so cavernous. It needs to become accustomed to the concept that it's living in captivity, not in a jungle. It needs to learn that it's relatively safe, that motion around it is okay.

5. Learn to properly pick up your tarantula, and do so often. Once it learns that you're not a threat through frequent one-on-one interactions, it'll calm down a lot.

And for everybody who reads this, I'm not interested in getting involved in another lengthy discussion of whether handling is good or bad. A truly large number of enthusiasts routinely handle their tarantulas, and the overwhelming majority of experience is that, if done properly, it does the tarantula no harm at all. The fact is that it really doesn't matter. Captive tarantulas seem to do equally well whether they're handled or not. In fact, many tarantulas become quite accustomed to the experience, and even seem to enjoy it (assuming that such is possible). Just be sure to do it correctly. See "Personal Contact-One on One" beginning at page 184 of the Tarantula Keeper's Guide, freely available from most public libraries. You might also want to check out "Those @#$%&# Bristles" beginning on page 199.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your fuzzy little eight legged buddy!

Stan

hulk-smash

Hi Stan
Thank you for the reply. I am no way near a expert lol but from what I have read and watched online you tell the sex from a molt so I am waiting on the next one. should be due any day now really but from what I can tell I believe its a female but when myvt does molt next time I will contact again to try and confirm if that would be okay because knowing the sex would be a great help (just from my personal view).

The temp of enclosure is around 20 degrees It is artifical heated (sort of ) I have a heat mat stuck to the side of my wall and the tank against that. Is this temp too high?

My t is also kept in the darkest corner of the room because I read that they like dark damp conditions and would removing some of the substrate not affect my t to much because I believe that they are opertunisic burrowers so would it be more happy with the option to burrow. As of the last few weeks my t has spent a lot less time in its burrow and more time above ground apart from when I try and open tank(to give fresh water) it shoots back into hide but when left alone it is usually sat out in the open.

Thank you for taking time to read my reply and thank you for the help

Damian

Latest posts