• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

size matters ;) lol

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
no need to get all bent out of shape i was just trying to make a point on my side of the discussion.... and as far as keeping the humidity right i just meant that i know they do better in high humidity so in a larger enclosure you need to keep a better eye on it because they can fluctuate so fast that's all
An exoterra is fine for an avic if that's what you want to use. But don't consider humidity at all when keeping avics. Give her a large water dish and keep it full, it will provide all the humidity an Avic needs. I do that, and make it rain for mine every great once in awhile, like every 4 or 5 months, as a simulated rainfall, and they all do fine. I've lost one Avic out of 7 that I've raised from slings, and she was always smaller than the other two versis and and never ate much. I would be careful of making rain in an exoterra, because the cross ventilation blows, and it may very well mold. Also, those fine mesh screen tops are crap for spiders. They WILL get hung up in them. Hope this helped.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
no need to get all bent out of shape i was just trying to make a point on my side of the discussion.... and as far as keeping the humidity right i just meant that i know they do better in high humidity so in a larger enclosure you need to keep a better eye on it because they can fluctuate so fast that's all
No they actually don't do better with higher humidity. Slings can be kept a bit more moist, but Avics tend to do better when kept on dry substrate and provided with plenty of cross-ventilation. The terrarium you're planning on using has poor cross-ventilation. Cross-ventilation with this species is important regardless of the size of the enclosure. If you're not going to listen to anyone's advice then why bother posting this on a public forum? Fine if you wanna keep a tiny sling in a ridiculously oversized enclosure. I won't be surprised if over a month from now, IF the sling hasn't escaped by then, when we see a thread from you asking "Why isn't my Avic webbing? Why doesn't it appear to be settling in?" You do what you want. It's your money. Just don't be surprised when things don't go as planned.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Personally I am getting tired of the angry replies- How about if you cannot say something nice- shut up. OR how about if you find it hard to offer help without passive aggressive post you just DON'T REPLY- Do not offer your opinion if it pains you to do so. I don't recall there being a law on taking advice so Legz do not be discouraged to ask and ask again until you feel you've received the right advice. Additionally you can block people on here and not have to deal with them. I have already ignored a user or two and it's kept me from leaving, I might suggest the same for you :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry for not telling the OP what he wants to hear. I think I have a right to voice my opinion, after all this is a public forum. I never told him he HAD to do anything. What justifies the "right advice" ? Is it telling someone exactly what they want to hear even if it means lying and not being honest with how you feel? He can do whatever he wants, but he shouldn't be surprised if something goes wrong. I certainly hope it doesn't. I would never want something bad to happen to anyone's animal. I do sincerely apologize if anyone is offended by my attitude, and I will admit I have been short-tempered lately, which is why I'm trying to stay away from the forum a bit more. We had a close family member pass away on Thanksgiving and this past week has been extremely depressing for us all. My tolerance of certain people and behavior is much lower than usual. I will try to word my posts a bit better, but I am not going to lie and tell someone something that i don't believe to be true. I just can't bring myself to do it.

Last edited:

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Not bent out of shape at all! I'm just trying to make you aware of some potential issues with using that enclosure. There is a very good chance that if you use it, it will work for you. There just tend to be a lot of posts about dead Avics, so they're a genus I try to be a bit more diligent with. There are also a lot of care sheets out there talking about high humidity requirements for these species, and many attribute the "Sudden Avic Death Syndrome" to keepers trying to keep the humidity up. Those who have success with them don't worry about the humidity anymore and supply a water dish and cross ventilation.

I actually used to use the Exo Terra nanos for a few of my guys, but they have some design issues that make them less than ideal for some species. I have a tall with a large gap around the door, so I really can't use it for smaller specimens. They definitely look great when all decorated, though... :)

Whatever you decide, best of luck with the sling. They are a gorgeous species that are fantastic to watch grow!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Is it just me or does their premolt period last a ridiculously long time considering that they're a rather fast-growing species?

kaz

3 Year Member
My personal opinion is that the larger the enclosure and the smaller the spider, just might make it a tad more difficult to keep an eye on things. For example I have a tiny purple tree spider sling in a 7by7cm square plastic sweet jar and often find myself turning the jar round and round trying to spot it, as well as any small prey items I put in there to check if its eating etc. I just think if its in a much larger enclosure the small prey items you will have to feed it will likely escape if there are plenty of gaps or they may hide pretty well. Again its in my personal opinion that it would just simply be much easier for you to house it in something more suitably sized, until it gets larger. But at the end of the day its your decision, and that's my opinion. Give it ago but perhaps keep something else at hand just incase it doesn't work out as well as you liked. Good luck

Last edited:

kaz

3 Year Member
Is it just me or does their premolt period last a ridiculously long time considering that they're a rather fast-growing species?
i thought mine was pretty quick. Its only had one molt with me tho. I only got around to feeding it once!!. Then wouldn't except anything then bam suddenly realized upon checking up on her that she'd molted!!

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Sorry for not telling the OP what he wants to hear. I think I have a right to voice my opinion, after all this is a public forum. I never told him he HAD to do anything. What justifies the "right advice" ? Is it telling someone exactly what they want to hear even if it means lying and not being honest with how you feel? He can do whatever he wants, but he shouldn't be surprised if something goes wrong. I certainly hope it doesn't. I would never want something bad to happen to anyone's animal. I do sincerely apologize if anyone is offended by my attitude, and I will admit I have been short-tempered lately, which is why I'm trying to stay away from the forum a bit more. We had a close family member pass away on Thanksgiving and this past week has been extremely depressing for us all. My tolerance of certain people and behavior is much lower than usual. I will try to word my posts a bit better, but I am not going to lie and tell someone something that i don't believe to be true. I just can't bring myself to do it.

Let me start with my condolences for the loss of your family member sincerely! - I have recently lost a close family member and my father has been in the ICU for the last several days so I know this can be stressful. Now you absolutely have the right to give your opinion-this was never about you NOT telling the OP what they wanted to hear, it's all in the delivery and maybe at the young age of 22 that is not something you have yet to learn or maybe you feel entitled to speak to people like you do bc you sit behind a computer, or bc you're a well known member or part of the 1,000 post club? I don't care if you're god, Santa or the Easter bunny just bc it's your opinion doesn't make it the "Right advice" I have found many of your responses to the other posters aggressive, snarky, and very unwelcoming so blaming this on the loss of a family member doesn't sit right with me. You've always been pleasant with me but I see you act very differently with the men in this forum. If you already recognize that you're out of line with your post maybe you need some more time away? (Just my opinion on an public forum) I would never suggest anyone lie about the care of any species but until you can show me your credentials/ Masters in Biology/ Entomology it's nothing more than experience and opinion like everyone else- I have been keeping T's since before you hit the ripe age of 10 and I am still learning- I love learning and asking questions but not if other posters reply like you do.. some people have a hard time communicating in the forum- you should be setting the bar and making people feel welcome- if you cannot do that without some decency and respect for others maybe you should stop offering your "advice". Again my condolences on your family member.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I use enclosures larger than they should be for slings like that because I'd rather let em grow into it, and not have to rehouse it too much.
Mine seem to find the spots they like, web away, and are ultimately happy. I can see, however, T's too small can have trouble finding their prey in enclosures too big, because a fast little cricket will then have a large area to run away from the T in.

Meludox

3 Year Member
I use enclosures larger than they should be for slings like that because I'd rather let em grow into it, and not have to rehouse it too much.
Mine seem to find the spots they like, web away, and are ultimately happy. I can see, however, T's too small can have trouble finding their prey in enclosures too big, because a fast little cricket will then have a large area to run away from the T in.
"My tarantula beat up your honor student"
Oh wow I'm cracking up over here. Lol.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Let me start with my condolences for the loss of your family member sincerely! - I have recently lost a close family member and my father has been in the ICU for the last several days so I know this can be stressful. Now you absolutely have the right to give your opinion-this was never about you NOT telling the OP what they wanted to hear, it's all in the delivery and maybe at the young age of 22 that is not something you have yet to learn or maybe you feel entitled to speak to people like you do bc you sit behind a computer, or bc you're a well known member or part of the 1,000 post club? I don't care if you're god, Santa or the Easter bunny just bc it's your opinion doesn't make it the "Right advice" I have found many of your responses to the other posters aggressive, snarky, and very unwelcoming so blaming this on the loss of a family member doesn't sit right with me. You've always been pleasant with me but I see you act very differently with the men in this forum. If you already recognize that you're out of line with your post maybe you need some more time away? (Just my opinion on an public forum) I would never suggest anyone lie about the care of any species but until you can show me your credentials/ Masters in Biology/ Entomology it's nothing more than experience and opinion like everyone else- I have been keeping T's since before you hit the ripe age of 10 and I am still learning- I love learning and asking questions but not if other posters reply like you do.. some people have a hard time communicating in the forum- you should be setting the bar and making people feel welcome- if you cannot do that without some decency and respect for others maybe you should stop offering your "advice". Again my condolences on your family member.
I honestly don't think my age has a whole lot to do with it. I see and know people several times my age that are so immature and I cannot stand people who think they are superior or smarter than those younger than them, just because they are older. There are people in their 40's, 50's, 60's, and older who still act like they're 18. I never said my opinion was the "right advice". I don't believe my advice is above anyone else. I don't believe I am above anyone else. I just so happen to have over 1,000 posts, to me, that is just a number. Why am I not surprised to see MassExodus liked your post? There's a shining example of the word hypocrite. Regardless, I'm not going to let that bring me down. I will work on expressing my feelings and delivering my "advice" (what's with the quotes?) in a more friendly and welcoming fashion. I still don't 100 percent agree with everything you said. I don't think I'm being indecent with my responses. Perhaps a bit harsh, but indecent is not really an accurate way to describe it in my opinion. If you or anyone else would like to discuss anything further, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
just so everyone knows after seeing the size of the spider (for some reason I thought it would be bigger) I have decided to keep it in a smaller enclosure until it reaches a size where it wont be hard to locate it when it comes time to feed... but anyways.. I went to feed the little guy/gal last night and it was on the side of the enclosure right next to one of the holes I drilled and I stuck a mealworm thru the hole and it munched it.. couldn't have gotten much easier haha

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
just so everyone knows after seeing the size of the spider (for some reason I thought it would be bigger) I have decided to keep it in a smaller enclosure until it reaches a size where it wont be hard to locate it when it comes time to feed... but anyways.. I went to feed the little guy/gal last night and it was on the side of the enclosure right next to one of the holes I drilled and I stuck a mealworm thru the hole and it munched it.. couldn't have gotten much easier haha

Congrats on your new T! I love when they eat immediately...so glad to hear she ate for you. :)

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
I received my 7 T's from jamies on wed and all of them have taken food... a couple ate the first night a few on the second day and the A.metallica finally took some food today :) the A. versicolor is busy as hell today building a tube web already!!! so I am a happy T owner with some even happier T's!!!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sweet. A.metallica is an awesome Avic and also one of the largest ones. They're probably the most laid back of the genus in my experience. You really can't go wrong with a B.smithi either. They might not be the most active or exciting species but they are downright gorgeous and usually have great appetites. I don't handle mine, but B.smithi is my go-to tarantula for when I do "How-To" videos for shipping tarantulas or rehousing or things like that.

Latest posts