• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

RIP baby OBT

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm sad to say my little OBT, Shambaa, died last night. I hadn't seen it for a few days and presumed it was just hiding away like Zera does. I fed it Tuesday night and there was no sign of the cricket yesterday morning or of Shambaa but on checking them last night I found it in a death curl and there is no change this morning and no response at all.

It seems so sad when it had made such a beautiful little home for itself.

DSCF7314 (2).JPG

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So sorry Ennie... It stings more than people think... At least you gave it a good life, hope you're ok :(

Thank you. I'm actually surprised at how much this one has affected me. I got used to the fact that not all little ones are destined to survive when I was breeding snakes. I guess it was just because it was so unexpected.:(

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you. I'm actually surprised at how much this one has affected me. I got used to the fact that not all little ones are destined to survive when I was breeding snakes. I guess it was just because it was so unexpected.:(
I dont think folks like us, who truly view these creatures as pets and part of our world
rather then just another collection piece, ever become completely numb to losing one,
I got teary for you reading it.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If any T is gonna survive to adulthood you'd bet on an OBT but I suppose it's just nature... Easy to say but remember you have many other beauties that rely on you :) Chin up Mrs!

Yes, I'd have expected an OBT to do well but nature can be cruel. It has taken the edge of my excitement about the new baboon that is on its way.

I dont think folks like us, who truly view these creatures as pets and part of our world
rather then just another collection piece, ever become completely numb to losing one,
I got teary for you reading it.

Bless you. You're right though it never gets any easier.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What Baboon you getting Ennie? I'm absolutely bricking it with my latest lot, they're all so small.. I get nervous checking on them...

I've got an Encyocratella olivacea (Usambara Black-femured Baboon) on it's way. It looks a bit like an OBT but with more black.

Picture courtesy of @spidersworld.eu
Encyocratella-olivacea1-510x400.jpg

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Sorry to hear this enn, ive always said it, and always will, dispite what people think of tarantulas they are pets, to some, and the ones that you have become attached to, for what ever reasons, are like family members, just as dogs and cats are. Chin up [emoji108]

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry to hear this enn, ive always said it, and always will, dispite what people think of tarantulas they are pets, to some, and the ones that you have become attached to, for what ever reasons, are like family members, just as dogs and cats are. Chin up [emoji108]

Definitely they are pets, which is why all of mine have pet names.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Encyocratella olivacea is an excellent choice. I love mine!

Here she is after her molt yesterday:
IMG_1366.jpg

At first, I wasn't sure how to keep her: some years ago, people thought it was a burrowing sp (cf mike's basic tarantula); then, the scientific agreement was that it is arboreal. However, I have never seen mine climb (I have her since juvenile): I made an enclosure with both possibilities (semi-arboreal), that is enough room and substrate to wander or dig, and a vertical cork bark high enough for her to climb. She didn't dug, but she used substrate to build her burrow behind the cork bark (same as my Heteroscodra). She stays out in the open rather frequently (but not all the time), and has webbed a lot. She's not too defensive (but I leave her alone!), and doesn't run for a hide as soon as I touch the enclosure. It seems this sp. needs rather high moisture (according to Verdez 2015) comparing to other african spp. like Heteroscodra or Stromatopelma. But she doesn't seem to be fragile as far as I can see. Anyway, a beautiful sp.: photos don't do her justice!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Encyocratella olivacea is an excellent choice. I love mine!

Here she is after her molt yesterday:
View attachment 20290

At first, I wasn't sure how to keep her: some years ago, people thought it was a burrowing sp (cf mike's basic tarantula); then, the scientific agreement was that it is arboreal. However, I have never seen mine climb (I have her since juvenile): I made an enclosure with both possibilities (semi-arboreal), that is enough room and substrate to wander or dig, and a vertical cork bark high enough for her to climb. She didn't dug, but she used substrate to build her burrow behind the cork bark (same as my Heteroscodra). She stays out in the open rather frequently (but not all the time), and has webbed a lot. She's not too defensive (but I leave her alone!), and doesn't run for a hide as soon as I touch the enclosure. It seems this sp. needs rather high moisture (according to Verdez 2015) comparing to other african spp. like Heteroscodra or Stromatopelma. But she doesn't seem to be fragile as far as I can see. Anyway, a beautiful sp.: photos don't do her justice!

Thank you for the info. It's always good to have it from someone with experience of them. I've always kept my OBT as an arboreal and although she built her cave on the ground, she does use the full height of her terrarium so I'll do the same for this one and see what she does.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Shampain I'll certainly post pics when it arrives, hopefully tomorrow but possibly next week as for some reason it took 3 days to leave Poland when normally it only 24 hours.

Latest posts