• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

removing a molt

I have a strange question. My C.Versicolor has molted, so obviously I want to get a look at it to see if I can sex it. The problem I have is that it has molted inside the same bromeliad it has also built it's home in (see the picture). I don't want to destroy the web if I can help it, so here's my question...
Will the spider eject the molt on it's own, or will I have to go in and get it?

IMG_0534.JPG

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Unfortunately only your T can answer that. Some will throw the moult out almost immediately, others hang on to them. One of my big girls has just thrown out 2 old exos from her last moults in February and August last year. If you really want to get it out quickly then use a pair of tweezers or tongs.

Unfortunately only your T can answer that. Some will throw the moult out almost immediately, others hang on to them. One of my big girls has just thrown out 2 old exos from her last moults in February and August last year. If you really want to get it out quickly then use a pair of tweezers or tongs.
Thanks @Enn49. As with most things it won’t be that simple. The only way to get in with tongs is to go in through the side of the plant, between the leaves and damaging the web. I’ll see what happens in the next few days & take it from there

I would try to do minimal damage but repairing would be nothing like rehousing..
Good news, I've managed to get the molt out without disturbing the T too much. I made a small cut at the base of the web where the leaves overlap while the spider was up top & managed to grab the molt with tongs and pulled it out. Unfortunately I cant sex it this time as the abdomen was a bit of a mess, but there's always next time. I haven't managed to get shots of the new suit yet, but I've caught a quick glimpse of the spider & I can see that it's starting to develop the red hairs on it's legs & abdomen. So watch this space for pics of that.

IMG_0547.JPG IMG_0550.JPG IMG_0548.JPG IMG_0549.JPG

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm probably a bit late, but when I fill water dishes if they're webbed over or just webbed onto when I pick them up I spool the webbing onto them a bit like they do with fairy floss (cotton candy). Just enough to take up the stray webbing, usually the tunnels stay intact but if they tear I spool them on too and just leave the webbing that stays in place. Some will replace it immediately, others just tidy up what's left.
As Arachnoclown said, what else do they do with their day? In captivity, any resources used repairing or replacing webbing are easily replaced, food and water are unlimited.

Latest posts