• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rehousing?

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Just curious how you're actually supposed to re-house T's? Put them in a cup then use that to transfer them?
I ended up re-housing my B. smithi sling earlier this week. To transfer it I just let it crawl onto my hand and then off into the new enclosure (never more than about three inches from the ground). Everything went fine, but that's largely due to the B. smithi being pretty slow and docile.

Like I said, there was no issue with rehousing the B. smithi, but I wanted to ask before I have to rehouse something more difficult (like my rosea who is shockingly aggressive).

Poec54

3 Year Member
I do a lot of transfers between cage upgrades and breeding. I put the cage on a tall bar stool and slowly, gently nudge the spider in a 32 oz deli cup. I softly tough it's rear legs with an 8" lollipop stick. I have the right in front of the spider, on an angle, and it walks right into it (doesn't have much choice).

Poec54

3 Year Member
It'll be interesting to see if I have that much luck getting one into a deli cup lol.

I've done it hundreds of times. The key is not to startle them or get them worked up. Once that happens you've lost the advantage, and should try again later. On a bar stool, they're slowed down (somewhat) before hitting the floor and taking off.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Good idea. I'm about to have to transfer my wolf spider, and she decided to go for a run last time I did anything more than offer her food-- she has had two fertile eggsacs in a span of about three months so I was 'baby-proofing' things when she ran off. Just hit the floor and pretty much disappeared for a couple hours. Surprised I found her at all.

Latest posts