• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rehousing Obligate Burrowers

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tomorrow, time permitting, I'm planning on rehousing my female H lividum and female C marshalli. The lividum just needs a rehouse because she's been rained on several times over the 2-3 years I've owned her, and I want to add more ventilation anyway. The marshalli hasn't been seen in almost a year, and I'm tired of it. She stays in her 8 inches of substrate and does not come out. Shes getting a new enclosure with maybe 3 inches of substrate, and a hide. It's pure selfishness on my part. She'll get over it. I may be willing to trade either or both for any interesting tarantula that's offered. Of course, I want females for females. Both of mine are unquestionably female. I'll be taking and posting pics of both on this thread tomorrow, so anyone interested in a trade take a gander and let me know. If not, it should be a good picture thread, they're both good looking spiders.;)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I actually never really gave my Ceratogyrus species tons of substrate. They seem to be more opportunistic borrowers in my experience. They'll make up for it with tons of webbing much like an OBT. I give my Ephebopus and Augacephalus species lots of substrate but I feel like they need it a bit more. Still gotta get myself a lividum lol.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I actually never really gave my Ceratogyrus species tons of substrate. They seem to be more opportunistic borrowers in my experience. They'll make up for it with tons of webbing much like an OBT. I give my Ephebopus and Augacephalus species lots of substrate but I feel like they need it a bit more. Still gotta get myself a lividum lol.
I wish I would have heard that when I bought mine..I gave her a bunch of substrate and a very deep pre-made burrow( I used an old fashioned cop baton) and only saw her once since then. I hope she isn't dead..prey disappears though, so..should be interesting to see her again. She was almost definitely wild caught.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I remember these girls being bigger...I guess since I never see them and I do see my big species, they just look small to me. Rehousing the marshalli was a breeze..I took one scoop out of the top of her burrow and she ran out striking at the spoon..lol. Then I just put her in a catch cup and transferred her to the new house. The lividum had to be dug out, then chased around the bathtub, she's always been a bolter, since day one, and she's fast. This is my second rehouse of her so I was expecting it. She never threat poses, just bolts. I always try to keep my body away from her because she will jump as well. Good times:) Here's a few pics.
rehouse 005.jpg
rehouse 010.jpg

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My male darlingi is a complete psycho. He throws threat poses and strikes at the air simply upon me opening the enclosure. Love him though.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My male darlingi is a complete psycho. He throws threat poses and strikes at the air simply upon me opening the enclosure. Love him though.
This girl isn't too bad, she just got a little defensive when I started digging, and rightly so! Hey how big is your darlingi? These two girls have to be fully mature by now, and both are maybe 5 inches, at most...they just seem small..

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This girl isn't too bad, she just got a little defensive when I started digging, and rightly so! Hey how big is your darlingi? These two girls have to be fully mature by now, and both are maybe 5 inches, at most...they just seem small..
He's about 3 maybe 3 1/2 inches. He's mature but I haven't had good luck finding someone who'd want him.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wish :) His male is a darlingi my female is a marshalli ; ) but honestly I don't want to breed these 2 girls.. I'm just not that into burrowers. I just started keeping them on shallow substrate though, maybe this will change my mind..I hope so, they're both cool spiders

Fleas

3 Year Member
I wish :) His male is a darlingi my female is a marshalli ; ) but honestly I don't want to breed these 2 girls.. I'm just not that into burrowers. I just started keeping them on shallow substrate though, maybe this will change my mind..I hope so, they're both cool spiders
Wow I can't believe I did not catch that lol I got a marshalli baby that web it's enclosure like crazy. Awesome little thing