• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Random arboreal Q's

Noobmatus

3 Year Member
I was just wondering how y'all clean the poo off the sides of your arboreal t's enclosures? Its one part of t husbandry that I don't hear to much about I was also wondering how this would be safely done with some of the more defensive/speedy sp. such as the psalmo's tappy's or pretty much any OW arboreal

khatchet

3 Year Member
I just spray with water and wipe it off with a clean sponge. I how ever do not do it with the tarantula in the enclosure, I move them to a deli cup. I clean the enclosure out ever 3 to 6 month, just depends when it looks necessary.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was just wondering how y'all clean the poo off the sides of your arboreal t's enclosures? Its one part of t husbandry that I don't hear to much about I was also wondering how this would be safely done with some of the more defensive/speedy sp. such as the psalmo's tappy's or pretty much any OW arboreal
For the bad ones, that really make a mess, I move them to a catchcup, and use a shop rag with water and a tiny spray of Windex(on the rag) and scrub the sides, then when they're clean I repeat with just water and leave the enclosure open for an hour to let the Windex fumes dissipate, rinse and refill water dish and put them back. You have to be kind of careful with the Windex if you use it, obviously:).

Thistles

3 Year Member
If the enclosure is glass, use a razor. If it's acrylic or plastic I use water with an acrylic-safe algae scrubber. I have them on hand from my fish. I like to block off the entrance to the cork hides after the spider retreats. I usually stuff a washcloth or something in the mouth of the hole.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Honestly, I've never really had to clean it off. As far as I know, it doesn't attract any sort of pests, like mites or anything. It doesn't mold up either. It really isn't hazardous in any way to the tarantula. Some people don't like having it all over the walls, simply because it makes it difficult to see into the enclosure, which I can understand. To me, it just isn't really worth bothering the spider. Also, if it's an Old World arboreal or something like a Psalmo or Tapy, spending all that time trying to clean the poo off of the sides of the tank, is taking more of a chance when it comes to bites/escapes.

Rockpython

3 Year Member
If the enclosure is glass, use a razor. If it's acrylic or plastic I use water with an acrylic-safe algae scrubber. I have them on hand from my fish. I like to block off the entrance to the cork hides after the spider retreats. I usually stuff a washcloth or something in the mouth of the hole.
Great idea of blocking to entrance to their hides.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yet another reason to not get an OW arboreal,
I do the A.avic's weekly except for her little webbed nest area, I use organic cotton pads and water, wash then dry well,
she follows me around and gets in the way,
generally does her best to climb my arm then sulks on her water dish lol

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use long sturdy q tips. i get them at my harley shop. long reach and work perfectly dipped in warm water and wipe...repeat. works like a charm.
I have some, the wooden handle ones, but my avic is a piglet, take me an hour to clean from her that way ^^

Latest posts