• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

questions

lillycaden

3 Year Member
hi, im new here. I bought my t, rose hair, last year, and she is awesome. she molted in march after 6 months of hiding in her log. she sealed up all the entrances. after she molted the eat 3 crickets every 3-4 days, walked around a lot, I took her out often. last week I changed her tank, after reading to do it every 6 months to a year. used the same substrate, and her whole demeanor changed. she wont walk around, wont eat. this morning I woke up and checked on her and she webbed up the front entrance of her log. is she stressed because I changed her tank, or is she getting ready to molt again. is it to soon for her to molt? I read about power feeding and am not sure if that's what I did and caused her to go into early molt. she is about 4.5 -5". should I be worried? ive grown very fond of Barry and want to make sure she is ok. thank you, any help is appreciated

katiekatelyn

3 Year Member
Is the substrate moist? Because rose hairs like dry substrate. It's not unusual for a T to remain hidden. I have a cobalt blue sling that I have seen only once since I got it 4 months ago.
You definitely don't have to change the substrate exactly every six months, especially since it should stay dry with only a water dish. Cleaning out the food remains should be enough for tank maintenance. Don't worry about your T. I don't think its in premolt this soon, my first T was a rose hair, about the same size as yours, and in three years it only molted once.
Welcome to the group!

lillycaden

3 Year Member
Thank you, its not wet or damp. I changed it a year later, and would usually just spot clean. I hope she is ok. I am interested in getting another and wanna make sure I good at this first. Thanks for the help :)

katiekatelyn

3 Year Member
I have a brachypelma smithi and a grammostola pulchra in my collection and I have to say they are among my most docile and mild mannered. I've held the two, they're the only ones I'd feel comfortable holding because of how utterly chill they are.

Latest posts