• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

purpurea vs sp. peru purple

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I promised my son i'd get him another Avic or 2. We've both come to love the colors, movement, and look on these arboreals :) and purple is my favorite color so i can't really pass up either.

What is the care for both of these species? I've read the purpurea needs high temps and humidity. Petcenterusa says 80-84F and high humidity for the purpurea, nothing special listed for the sp Peru Purple on that site. The only care sheet i can find for the sp peru purple says high temps and high humidity, so it matches what i can find for the purpurea.

So I'd like to hear from those have have these how they should be raised ;) and which is a better webber and which is more aggressive. Also any tips or tricks for these, or if i can raise them like the versicolor we have now that is doing quite well.

Thanks in advance :D

jjosh61

3 Year Member
I have several Avics (Versi, sp, purp, metallica, amazonian), I raise them all the same from slings. In tupperware, holes punched in the sides, room temp, mist twice a week. My purp webs more than any of my others. All of my Avics have an awesome docile temperment. I handle all of them regularly. If you can, get them as babies or juveniles, handle them every other day, mist twice a week... it will be all good :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have several Avics (Versi, sp, purp, metallica, amazonian), I raise them all the same from slings. In tupperware, holes punched in the sides, room temp, mist twice a week. My purp webs more than any of my others. All of my Avics have an awesome docile temperment. I handle all of them regularly. If you can, get them as babies or juveniles, handle them every other day, mist twice a week... it will be all good :)
THe ones i'm looking at buying are 1/2-3/4" slings :) I don't like buying big T's i like watching the babies grow.

The one exception to that rule was the female A. chalcodes as i promised my son he could have one and that's the one he wanted.

So basically Avics are all raised roughly the same. And with our versicolor doing well we shouldn't have any issues (knock on wood) with the others. :)

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I have been raising a A.Pupurea for awhile. Slooooow grower. But then again I don't power feed my tarantulas either. Very neat webber and very docile even as a sling. I've had no trouble raising this sling. Plenty of cross ventilation is the most important thing with avics and if you are raising a Versicolor succesfully, you'll do fine with Purpurea. Set it up the same way :)

I want to get a Peru Purple!!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Petcenter has both on sale :) i'll be ordering the 2 avics and a couple others in my most wanted list in a week or two, whenever the tax refund hits my bank.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So i'm on the fence on which to get. I can't afford to get both as i'm ordering the B. baumgarteni (hope i spelled that right).

It's come down to which is the more purple looking of the 2 species :) It's probably a stupid way to decide on a T, but purple is my favorite color and i want a purple T. So which of these 2 species, the purpurea and the sp. peru purple, is the more purple T? ;)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
looking at images the sp peru is more purple.

What about Pamphobeteus platyomma?

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
that's what i was thinking also. Plus it's a 1" sling so i shouldn't have the picky eater problems like the 1/2" versi with the pinhead roaches as big as it's abdomen almost, and i save 7 bucks on sp peru purple ;) Thanks @Kymura i'll add that one to the cart for tomorrow.

jrh3

3 Year Member
that's what i was thinking also. Plus it's a 1" sling so i shouldn't have the picky eater problems like the 1/2" versi with the pinhead roaches as big as it's abdomen almost, and i save 7 bucks on sp peru purple ;) Thanks @Kymura i'll add that one to the cart for tomorrow.
Kormath did you ever decide what species you were gonna get?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
sorry i forgot to update this. I got the sp Peru Purple. all the pics i found looked like it had more purple than the purpurea. I may still get that one but it will be a ways down the road. Pics of Inca are in my pic thread, she still to small to show much of her adult colors.

Latest posts