• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Psalmopoeus pulcher

Steve b

Hi all I have a psalmopous pusher. I.v had this t for over 1 year .up until today I have never seen her take food ever .however she did today . I was a bit concerned because she or he has a very small abdomen. Could anybody tell me if this is normal for this specific spider. She looks normal in every way apart from her tiny abdomen. Please let me know if you have pics of this spider. I can't see any on the web lol or YouTube. Thanks steve.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Small abdomen is a sign of not enough food or dehydration. What are you trying to feed it and is there a large source of water available? All my Psalmopoeus including my pulcher drink lots of water.
A photo of your enclosure may also help diagnose a problem.

Steve b

Thanks for your reply. Theres always lots of fresh water and I feed her with medium crickets. But she just has not been interested at all she has planta and cork bark and like I said a deep water bowl is her enclosure I hope this is a is a good thing that she has started feeding again . Do you p p s we at all when I got her she came with a small enclosure and was a fair bit of web in there but she hasn't webbed at all since it had her.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Psalmopoeus hardly ever web at all. They will web funnel structures and cover them with dirt..."dirt curtains". I've got many old psalmopoeus species that dont web at all...not worried about that. Hopefully she will keep eating for you.

Steve b

Hi again . When I changed her water I did see some very small bug things in the water and when I lifted the water bowl in the soil under it was some in the soil . Not sure what they are but maybe I will take her out of there and get new substrates and give the whole thing a massive clean. What do you think

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi again . When I changed her water I did see some very small bug things in the water and when I lifted the water bowl in the soil under it was some in the soil . Not sure what they are but maybe I will take her out of there and get new substrates and give the whole thing a massive clean. What do you think
image.jpg

If the little bug things looked like this then they’re springtails and are fine to leave in and can also be beneficial to have.
image.jpg

Our pulchers have webbed a decent amount but it’s all down to the individual specimen. Some Ts we own you would expect to web and don’t. Others do. So I wouldn’t be too concerned about that.

Steve b

Oh well that's what there are haha . I feel a bit stupid now Haha. But i have 3 more ts and they are all good i have a pink toe who just webs all the time and she's in great condition. A new salmon pink. Who loves food and I'm sure will get to some size and a curry who had a bit of an attitude problem but looks grate so I'm still thinking to change the substrates and clean the glass and so on . But you have been a massive help to me . Thank you very much

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don’t feel stupid about asking or not knowing. Only feel stupid if you don’t ask and something bad happens :) everyone was there once :)

Steve b

Well I think if you don't ask you dont know or dont get . I'm really new to this although if been keeping them for a year . I do t Handel then and do t want to I think by asking you lurn so I will keep asking .

Steve b

Hi again . I did what I said and cleaned the tank and new substrates all looking very good . I had a chance to see the p p close up and I'm pretty sure he or she has had a bad molt at some point . He appears to have ether very small on no fangs at all . Buy time I got my camera and returned hr was off the glass and not in a position so I could get a pic. Maybe this would explain the small abdomen. Have you any suggestions that I can do to help this situation. Thanks steve

Steve b

Hi again . I did what I said and cleaned the tank and new substrates all looking very good . I had a chance to see the p p close up and I'm pretty sure he or she has had a bad molt at some point . He appears to have ether very small on no fangs at all . Buy time I got my camera and returned hr was off the glass and not in a position so I could get a pic. Maybe this would explain the small abdomen. Have you any suggestions that I can do to help this situation. Thanks steve

Attachments

• 20200215_101433.jpg
    20200215_101433.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29

Stat

3 Year Member
If its struggling to feed due to its fangs you could try pre killed food until its next molt when it should rectify the issue hopefully. More experienced people on here that may have a more in depth answer or other ideas

Steve b

Wow what a day in the life of a spider. Today after a rehouse and one cricket she orange looks on the mend looks like a new spider I have also been told to feed her wax worms so I will try that . Hopefully it will be good

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Has it been moult sexed female because it kind of looks like it could be male to me (I could be wrong though, as I have no experience with this species)?

New2T’s

3 Year Member
Has it been moult sexed female because it kind of looks like it could be male to me (I could be wrong though, as I have no experience with this species)?
I agree Jess. Wonder if it’s a mature male. I can’t see the pedipalps. That could explain the small abdomen and not eating. I have a juvie male Pulcher and boy does he have some legs on him. He jus molted and I swear they are at least two times longer than they were!!

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I agree Jess. Wonder if it’s a mature male. I can’t see the pedipalps. That could explain the small abdomen and not eating. I have a juvie male Pulcher and boy does he have some legs on him. He jus molted and I swear they are at least two times longer than they were!!

Would be nice to have a clear shot of the pedipalps. The lack of colouration on the abdomen and the legginess did make me question the sex. Like you say, it would explain the behaviour too.

Latest posts