• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pre-molt

Talmon Glidden

3 Year Member
Okay, i have a Chaco Golden Knee sling, my first tarantula. I am pretty sure she (only saying she in hopes that it's a girl, I don't know yet.) is in pre-molt. I know that they won't eat in pre-molt, but should I try to feed her just in case? Can the cricket damage her? I last fed her on Monday. Thanks for the advice in advance!

Edit: Also, does anybody know how long it'll be in pre-molt?

Last edited:

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you don't mind me asking, what makes you think that it's in premolt? Is its abdomen nice and plump and shiny? G. pulchripes (and Grammostola species in general) are known for fasting, so just be aware that if it stops eating, it might not indicate premolt.

As long as it's out and about, you can try a cricket with it. If it's not interested, take the cricket out and try again in a week. A cricket could potentially harm the T during an actual molt, so if you think it's in heavy premolt, don't leave it in over night.

As for how long it will be in premolt, it differs from animal to animal. I had a .5" G. pulchripes in premolt for three weeks while its sac mate was in premolt for about six weeks.

Last edited:

Talmon Glidden

3 Year Member
Okay, thanks. yeah, she has a plump, shiny, black abdomen. So their not actually that fragile when their in pre-molt? Just when their actually molting? thanks for the info, i'll try to feed her!

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yup, sound like a premolt. :) If she's plum and shiny, you can probably hold off feeding.

They can be slower, more lethargic, and more reclusive, but they shouldn't be in danger from a prey item at this point. During this period, they will usually just slap the prey away if they are not interested in eating. If they don't show interest, just take the item out.

Talmon Glidden

3 Year Member
I think I must have misjudged. I was probably paranoid or something about if she was in premolt or not, and I took a slight change in color too seriously and that's why i thought she was. But when I fed her she pounced on the cricket immediately. So that means she is not in premolt, correct?

hellknite

3 Year Member
If it's eating then maybe it's not yet in pre molt. I have 3 chaco golden knees and sometimes they go on a mysterious fasting. So try to offer food once in a while.. can you post a picture of her?

Talmon Glidden

3 Year Member
She is about 1 1/4 inches leg span and 3/4 inches from fangs to anus

And back at you, cousin of mine.
IMG_6958.JPG

Latest posts