• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

potentially have a trapdoor spider Antrodiaetus pacificus

Mrzellama

Antrodiaetus pacificus
Anyidea what type of enclosure to keep it in, what the spider may need?
ive got a plastic up filled with 2/3 dirt/clay and 1/3 substrate

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
All I'm finding is repeats of the information in the Wikipedia article on different sites. Cool forests with a sandy soil, moss and wood incorporated into it's burrow structure.
At night it waits at the burrow entrance for food.

So I guess as much compressed substrate as you can provide and some leaf litter in a corner. Rather than leaf litter you could substitute sphagnum moss torn into small pieces, that would avoid introducing any nasties from leaf litter and resist mould better.
For substrate a mix of coco peat and sand is usually suitable for most animals, 1 part sand to 6 parts peat by volume is a good mix, perhaps start at 1 to 3 and see what you think matches nearby sandy soil.

Really, I would think that treating it as a burrowing tarantula would be fine. I'm not sure about moisture or a water dish, but "cool forest" would seem to indicate that some moisture would be needed, I would add a very small water dish and perhaps mist the sphagnum moss occasionally, leaving droplets on the wall of the enclosure.

If the enclosure allows, providing a moisture gradient would be best, keeping one end dry and one end damp. Of course I always prefer a false bottom system, to have a moisture gradient from bottom to top preferably in combination with a linear gradient but that's up to you, it's probably not needed.

Hopefully someone who knows more about this actual species will reply, the trapdoors I'm familiar with are arid species usually found in grassland.

Mrzellama

All I'm finding is repeats of the information in the Wikipedia article on different sites. Cool forests with a sandy soil, moss and wood incorporated into it's burrow structure.
At night it waits at the burrow entrance for food.

So I guess as much compressed substrate as you can provide and some leaf litter in a corner. Rather than leaf litter you could substitute sphagnum moss torn into small pieces, that would avoid introducing any nasties from leaf litter and resist mould better.
For substrate a mix of coco peat and sand is usually suitable for most animals, 1 part sand to 6 parts peat by volume is a good mix, perhaps start at 1 to 3 and see what you think matches nearby sandy soil.

Really, I would think that treating it as a burrowing tarantula would be fine. I'm not sure about moisture or a water dish, but "cool forest" would seem to indicate that some moisture would be needed, I would add a very small water dish and perhaps mist the sphagnum moss occasionally, leaving droplets on the wall of the enclosure.

If the enclosure allows, providing a moisture gradient would be best, keeping one end dry and one end damp. Of course I always prefer a false bottom system, to have a moisture gradient from bottom to top preferably in combination with a linear gradient but that's up to you, it's probably not needed.

Hopefully someone who knows more about this actual species will reply, the trapdoors I'm familiar with are arid species usually found in grassland.
The island here is a rainforest technically so that makes sense, I didn't something dumb an used some dirt outside that I cleared of noticeable bugs or anything at the bottom and an inch of substrate since that's most of what I could conjur at the time, I'll probably be trying to just use as much substrate as I have (again not much I only have the amount I got with my Brazilian black) tomorrow
Leaf littler will be easy to get, I don't have any types of typical enclosure materials as I am a beginner.
This spider is smallll, super small, like maybe the size of my pinkie nail, I feel the substrate is almost too lose but I don't know much about these small trapdoors so I guess I'll find out lol, not like nature is just going to give him the perfect conditions (although I want and plan to) I checked him out not long ago, he just kinda dug down half an inch and is sitting there, probably freaked from today's adventure, I question if my baby crickets are too big for him lol.
Not quite sure what you mean by the false bottom and griadiants but im happy to learn and research..
Thank you for replying so much, I appreciate it greatly

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well for a wild caught animal using dirt and leaf litter from its environment is not such a big deal I think, it's likely already been in contact with whatever is there. Some would argue against providing sterilised materials, arguing that the natural environment contains a balanced array of organisms where "artificial" substrate is open to be colonised by the first invading organisms to come along because none of the natural checks are in place.

A gradient is simply a progression from one point to another. A temperature gradient may be easiest to explain (not that I'm recommending heating).
A heater is placed at one end of an enclosure, the temperature at that end reads 30c. The temperature at the opposite end of the enclosure reads 20c. Moving from one end to the other every temperature between 30 and 20 can be found depending on where you stop.
The idea is that the animal chooses conditions for itself by positioning itself at its preferred point(s) along the gradients provided.
For instance, using the temperature example, if it wants 25c it sits in the centre of the enclosure, if it wants 27.5c it sits halfway between the centre and the heated end, for 22.5c halfway between the centre and the unheated end and so on.

The same applies to a moisture or humidity gradient, only it's a range of moisture levels that is being provided rather than temperatures.

A gradient can run horizontally or vertically depending on how you set things up.

A false bottom is simply a way of adding water to the bottom of the substrate so that a verical moisture gradient is supplied that runs from driest at the top to most moist at the bottom, it replicates nature where the deeper an animal digs the more moisture it finds.

Latest posts