• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible interesting update on dubia food

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I'm power feeding him and I need to knock it off, I just like watching him eat though. The room he's in is at 75 degrees. I think that's on the lower end of the okay range right?
I don't know your species, but from what I've been reading lately, 75 should be fine for most species. I'd rather hear it from someone who knows your species. My reptile room is 80 all the time, with spikes up to 90 on hot days, and I definitely notice an uptick in spider appetites when the temps rise.

SpellKaster4

Peter is a Lasiodora parahybana sling. Dunno gender for real for obvious reasons but I'm just gonna call him male until I can get a molt or two and have someone help me figure it out.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Peter is a Lasiodora parahybana sling. Dunno gender for real for obvious reasons but I'm just gonna call him male until I can get a molt or two and have someone help me figure it out.
Sorry. What I meant was that I don't have any experience with Lasiodora at all. I know what he is from reading your posts the last few days, and have enjoyed learning about Peter's species. The bulk of my tarantula experience has been with the more docile species of Grammostola and Brachypelma. Thanks to you and the other members here, that is about to change. I've got about half of my wish list coming later this week. I'll be up to my elbows in spiders!

Anyhow, I'd rather that someone who is experienced with your species give you tips on why Peter isn't into his dubia, and confirm that your temperature is good rather than me guessing based on what I know about other species.

SpellKaster4

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. That's great that you're getting your wish list knocked out! If I had to guess I would say he isn't as interested in the dubia because they're a larger meal than the crickets. That's just a guess though, I certainly don't know what I'm talking about yet lol.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A Lasiodora species will eat practically anything that it can overpower. I feed mine about 2 or 3 times per week.

They usually either retreat to and seal off a burrow to molt when younger or spin a molting mat out of webbing on the ground prior to molting.

The coloration gets duller in premolt as well. I wait a week for the fangs to harden up before resuming feeding and the first post molt meal is an Earthworm.

I usually feed my larger ones one Earthworm per month for nutritional variety.

SpellKaster4

A Lasiodora species will eat practically anything that it can overpower. I feed mine about 2 or 3 times per week.

They usually either retreat to and seal off a burrow to molt when younger or spin a molting mat out of webbing on the ground prior to molting.

The coloration gets duller in premolt as well. I wait a week for the fangs to harden up before resuming feeding and the first post molt meal is an Earthworm.

I usually feed my larger ones one Earthworm per month for nutritional variety.
I got Peter on the 15th of last month and so far he has eaten at least three times a week. I'm actually a little impressed. I put in a 1/4" dubia last night, which honestly was about the same size as Peter's body, and the whole thing was freaking gone. I killed it before I put it in there so I know if didn't burrow or anything. I'm just surprised he ate something the same size as him in one night. That has me wondering, I don't know if you'll know or not, but do you think that a 1/2" sling would be able to take down a 1/4" dubia? I feel like that's a dumb question but when I see the dubia next to him I have a hard time picturing him being able to hold it long enough to kill it. I'm going to post a few pictures of Peter that I just took as I'm writing this so you guys can see how he's looking (and cause I like showing him off). To me he seems to be slightly lighter in color now but that's about it. He hasn't made any burrows at all yet. There is a spot in front of his cork wood that is kind of a blanket of webbing, it's not visible unless the substrate is disturbed. He doesn't hang around it anymore than any other spot in his enclosure. Another noob question if you don't mind. Like I mentioned I got Peter on the 15th of last month. Roughly how often should a healthy, well fed spider molt? In my uneducated mind I feel like I should be getting close to his first molt. Also I just want to say that I'm really thankful to all of you seasoned tarantula owners for being so patient with us noobs and for being so helpful. :)
DSC00056.JPG
DSC00057.JPG
DSC00058.JPG

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A Lasiodora can easily destroy a feeder half it's size. Just add the feeder and supervise it. If you know how going to use a larger one, wait an extra day or so to increase motivation. That's the nice thing about the whole genus. They eat like garbage disposals. With earthworms, they can knock down anything twice as long or less. These guys have a strong feeling response and will easily get live food.

A half inch sling versus a quarter inch roach is like shooting a fish in a barrel.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Peter looks awesome, but holy cow his abdomen is huge!

Reading your posts and Whitelightning's has made me want one of these guys. I plan to get one on my next order. That might be a little while since I've added so many new ones recently, so I'll live vicariously through your adventures with Peter.

SpellKaster4

I noticed that tonight too! I think this new dubia diet is putting some meat on his bones. I was offering them like I was the crickets but I'm going to back off since the dubias are so much more meaty. I don't want to have to build him a little treadmill to work the fat off lol. So far I'm loving Peter. He's giving LPs a good name to me. It's kind of funny, he's very curious. When I open his enclosure he likes to investigate the opening and kind of wave at me. It's not a threat pose, it's literally him taking his front four legs and just waving them in the air at me. I think I'm already starting to see why people like these guys. I really like the fact that they are an "exotic" pet but they are ridiculously affordable.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can't really over feed a sling. They are growing and Lasiodora species are fast growers indeed.

75 degrees is fine if that's your room temperature. Lasiodora species have no humidity requirements but over flow the water dish once a week and always have a full water dish.

My living situation dictates that my place is 68 to 70 degrees, room mate has fibromyalgia etc.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Peter looks awesome, but holy cow his abdomen is huge!

Reading your posts and Whitelightning's has made me want one of these guys. I plan to get one on my next order. That might be a little while since I've added so many new ones recently, so I'll live vicariously through your adventures with Peter.

So?

What are you waiting for?

Lasiodora species aren't green eyed monsters. The only difference is price and availability. Caresheets or specs are identical.

Fear not tarantulas has both Lasiodora Klugi and Lasiodora parahybana available. The price difference is $15

The Klugi is $50. These are slings so you can grow with the spider. They also have A geniculata in a beginner package which gives you everything.

They grow fast. They typically require a 5 gallon tank sized enclosure. I recommend Terra Blue professional for them. Of course there are also many other choices.

L Klugi Justina 1st oh 2.jpg

This was when she was smaller, but still adult colors basically. Heck, get one of each!! I wouldn't try to poke her leg like that now. She's to big in relations to my finger.

They think everything is food. If you can handle providing just a small bit of extra moisture, consider a Pamphobeteus such as P sp machala.

P machala Persephone molted 5.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts