• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible DKS?

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
ywc2Ovx.jpg

I got this T. Ockerti about 3 weeks ago. Mature Female. Day 1 was fine, fed her a Dubia and she chowed it.
Other week she just seemed to rotate around, Tarantulaing.

Now for the last few days she moved from her corkbark into this position and won't move. If she does move it's very erratic, almost like a spasm rather than a movement. This is obviously stress posture, but why? She was fine for weeks, the dubia she ate was from the guy who had her before me. She have water etc.

This is my first time encountering anything like this. She is on a shelf with my other T's, minimal disturbance etc.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Heres some good reading...

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
So he is still in the same condition.
I reached out to the previous owner. He said that it did the exact same thing with him, he thought it was going to die. But then it molted. But did the same thing after.
Idk. Feels hopeless tbh. Like imma just watch him slowly die and cant do nothing

Domondios

Just to clarify, this is a male or a female? Based on your original post.

I would assume molting, but if it's been like that even after a molt, then I'd research the species a bit more to find anything that you can relate to. Best of luck and keep us informed

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
If I were in your shoes I'd spend the next couple days concentrating on getting the t to drink to rule out dehydration. Shallow full water dish right next to it, preferably with its mouth positioned over it if you can coax it to move. Then leave it be. But don't let the dish dry out.
Before that however, is it possible to take a short video of its movements for us please? Descriptions don't always give a full picture. Cheers

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
I think I won't buy a mature female again. All my slings are fine, this is my first death and I only had him for 2 weeks.
This spider was going to die regardless.
I don't really feel sad, because I only had it for 2 weeks and I didn't raise it from sling so I don't really see it as 'my' spider per se. But I did hate seeing it suffer. The erratic spasmatic movements. The falling around not being able to climb. I could tell something is wrong. I just hate seeing any animal suffer.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
So he is still in the same condition.
I reached out to the previous owner. He said that it did the exact same thing with him, he thought it was going to die. But then it molted. But did the same thing after.
Idk. Feels hopeless tbh. Like imma just watch him slowly die and cant do nothing
Hi
Sorry for your loss.Was the spider given or sold to you?If it has been sold I will defo contact the previous owner as it is not right in my oppinion to be selling it with the knowledge that the T was not right in the first place.
Regards Konstantin

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Hi
Sorry for your loss.Was the spider given or sold to you?If it has been sold I will defo contact the previous owner as it is not right in my oppinion to be selling it with the knowledge that the T was not right in the first place.
Regards Konstantin
Yeah I did buy it, but I understand. Usually molting fixes these things. So I get why he was ok with selling it.

I've contacted him and he said it is really sad, and we can take a look at some other T's. I was thinking of getting one of the following slings;
Chilobrachys Fimbriatus
Chilobrachys Huahini
Hysterocrates Gigas
Hapalopus Sp Colombia Large

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Just to clarify, this is a male or a female? Based on your original post.

I would assume molting, but if it's been like that even after a molt, then I'd research the species a bit more to find anything that you can relate to. Best of luck and keep us informed
Female (as per the seller), 6 years old.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Yeah I did buy it, but I understand. Usually molting fixes these things. So I get why he was ok with selling it.

I've contacted him and he said it is really sad, and we can take a look at some other T's. I was thinking of getting one of the following slings;
Chilobrachys Fimbriatus
Chilobrachys Huahini
Hysterocrates Gigas
Hapalopus Sp Colombia Large
Hi
It sound like a plan.Better luck with thw one(s) you choose .Im in my early T keeping days yet and sticking to new worlds atm but gaining momentum. Lol
Regards Konstantin

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
This was two days ago.
I thought he was dead, but wasn't entirely. He was moving, but so so slightly. I just did this to show he can still move slightly. I put a dish under him with water. He put his fangs in, but just laid there.

VVJRizR.jpg

This is now. Wet spot on his abdomen? Impaction? He is still alive but so barely. I don't know what to do anymore.