• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

please really need help with sling

Bibster

Hello, I just joined this forum and hope you can help me with my problem. I just got my first T, a Brachypelma Smithi (2cm leg span) a small sling. I got it on 26 sep, and it travelled 1 week in trasnit and until now it makes almost 3 weeks since it hasnt eaten. I figured out it was in premolt when the T burrowed its self and blocked all the entrances, but this happened like 1 week ago. Havent seen the T in 5 days and i started to worry because i read that when it will be ready to eat, the T will open the burrow. 3 days ago i saw that the t opened the burrow, tried to feed her with prekilled mealworms or prekilled ****roach but nothing worked, i went to the store to buy crickets and i will try with them. The reason why i tried to feed her prekilled prey is because it still may be in the molting process and i dont wanna get her stressed out by a roaming roach or something. I dont know if i should wait a little more, or try to dig her out which i know its bad cuz if the T is molting she will probably stop and die. Hope you can help me with this, i really dont want it to die of hunger, here are some photos of the T, you can spot the shiny abdomen and the black spot on it, signs of premolt. The photos are not so good but i think its enough.
https://ibb.co/fLZe1z
https://ibb.co/dczq8e

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What size enclosure do you have for your little guy? A sling the size you mentioned shouldn't have that much substrate yet. At that size I keep all my slings in condiment cups just for that reason.
15390491048778130526210197031083.jpg

Bibster

What size enclosure do you have for your little guy? A sling the size you mentioned shouldn't have that much substrate yet. At that size I keep all my slings in condiment cups just for that reason. View attachment 32730
i think the eclosure is a little bit too big, compare it to the bottle cap. But i can't move the T into a smaller one because it still may be in the molting process. Yersterday i tried to feed her a prekilled cricket, but nothing moved, still waiting

43530774_2739129186113417_5362086134400679936_n.jpg
43667935_1861128063941705_6484194319560343552_n.jpg

Attachments

• 43530774_2739129186113417_5362086134400679936_n.jpg
    43530774_2739129186113417_5362086134400679936_n.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 43667935_1861128063941705_6484194319560343552_n.jpg
    43667935_1861128063941705_6484194319560343552_n.jpg
    715.1 KB · Views: 5

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
looks like a bit of OCD there to me....pmsl
I really wouldn't be able to leave his house without making a couple of uneven stacks! :)

To the O.P. ,some of my slings have been buried for months but they haven't moulted. Their butts are still plump so I'm not worried , I just stick to my usual "watering" routine but skip the food.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I really wouldn't be able to leave his house without making a couple of uneven stacks! :)

To the O.P. ,some of my slings have been buried for months but they haven't moulted. Their butts are still plump so I'm not worried , I just stick to my usual "watering" routine but skip the food.
I agree, mine is nowhere near as tidy....
20171002_131830.jpg

Bibster

Months?! huh wasnt expecting that much, but it's fine. About the watering, how often and how much water should i drop on the ground to keep the T hydrated without getting mold, because as it seems the water dish is useless if the sling is burried.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nope, it aint useless. Every T should have one. Watering substrate is for "tropical" spp, and is a controversial topic, not from opinion, but from observations of behavior and conditions. Its a matter of getting "used" to what your spiders want.

Bibster

Nope, it aint useless. Every T should have one. Watering substrate is for "tropical" spp, and is a controversial topic, not from opinion, but from observations of behavior and conditions. Its a matter of getting "used" to what your spiders want.
ok i understand that, but if the T wont leave the burrow to get water from dish, how it will get water if not from ground?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ok i understand that, but if the T wont leave the burrow to get water from dish, how it will get water if not from ground?
For the most part, every tarantula gets water from its prey..they'll drink from a dish in a pinch though, if they need it..and if theyre burrowed, they're in hiding mode. You wont see them come out at night..or reseal their web upon entering their burrow. Sometimes they leave it unsealed though..

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Months?! huh wasnt expecting that much, but it's fine. About the watering, how often and how much water should i drop on the ground to keep the T hydrated without getting mold, because as it seems the water dish is useless if the sling is burried.
Tiny slings actually do really well with Sphagnum moss moistened every few days. I've got a few hundred slings and they all drink from moss. Water dishes are best though...especially if your only caring for one sling;)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Theres uneven stacks....:p
20181009_193115.jpg

Bibster

hello everyone, i have an update to my little guy. Got the first sign from it in weeks, it drank the whole water dish(no it didnt evaporate), could it mean it finished the molt, or its preparing for it?

Latest posts