• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pink toe Goliath care tips

middy74

Hi all has most of you know I've been keeping tarantula's for a year I've got a collection of over 50 nw and ow . Now I'm hoping to get a pink toe Goliath I've been reading up on there care needs im going to set up a aboral enclosure first and see how the enclosure settles ie humidity mainly. The Pink toe Goliath I'm hoping to by is 5 cm but I'm asking for help with care tips first before purchasing t .
I over flow my water bowls and move them about on most of my TS for humidity which works fine I get a bit of mould sometimes but I think we all do.
So please people any care tips on this beautiful tarantula would be appreciated.
I'm only going to purchase this tarantula if I know I can meet her required husbandry needs.ie mainly humidity tip's.
I don't chase humidity because I don't think you need to but I've read the Pink toe Goliath needs that little bit extra.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What species are you talking about? I believe one of the Avicularia are called a goliath, but the Theraphosa apophysis is a true goliath, with a leg measurement of close to 12 inches, but it's a terrestrial.

I keep Avicularia slightly drier than Theraphosa & I make sure all of my arboreal enclosures have side & top ventilation, even if I need to add it.

A lot of the top opening arboreal enclosures lack side ventilation, so I avoid glass enclosures & go for enclosures I can melt a few side ventilation holes into. Ventilation is important, especially with higher humidity T's.

middy74

Hi this is the species.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230504-111809.png
    Screenshot_20230504-111809.png
    4 MB · Views: 2

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Theraphosa apophysis. I keep the substrate in these moist, with plenty of ventilation. I use bark for a cover & give the substrate a scrape under the bark, so they have plenty of room to find thier way in there. I tend to keep springtails in with my Theraphosa & add a small amount of dried yeast each week to keep them thriving. This keeps mould at bay. Most T's also like some plant cover. I use plastic plants. Plastic vines, I cut up into suitable lengths & I also occasionally use small plastic plants aimed at fish tanks. The Range does plastic plants from £1.99 & I buy packs of 6 for £5.99, just take care not to buy anything to firm & sharp.

Ignore humidity as a %, that is like chasing the end of a rainbow. Keep the substrate moist & the enclosure well ventilated & if you have a hygrometer, don't use it. Humidity is achieved via good husbandry, so get the care right & the humidity is right. Plus unless you want to pay £100's on something that really works, you are going to be chasing humidity based on something that from my experience is between 10 to 20% inaccurate.

I kept a number of different thermometers & hygrometer's in my lounge, over a few months. All were aimed at the hobby & were of different brands, all gave different readings.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
With slings & smaller T's. Individual leaves removed from plastic plants, offers great cover, simply placing a leaf or two in the enclosure.

I do this with a lot of my slings. I brought a large amount of plastic Ivy vine from the Range. Found in their flower arranging section. I remove small leaves & place a single small leaf in my viles. Thus offering something approaching natural cover, in a vile.

For larger slings & juvi's I have some trailing plants I brought from Swell. A couple of individual leaves provide lightweight & natural looking cover. This is the sort of thing I use.
https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/swell-trailing-tricolour-artificial-plant

middy74

Hi great information there how moist is moist I'm using coco block I've add some crushed leaves moss hide also a few isopods dairy cows and spring tails I soak my block and just squeeze out any water here are some photos of the little setup it's a 7lt rub I've added ventilation holes right round the tub . Please correct me if set up is wrong I'm not ordering t unless I know it's ok
Water dish will be added.

Attachments

• 16832022295995223137999539355701.jpg
    16832022295995223137999539355701.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 16832022504678551649591913880691.jpg
    16832022504678551649591913880691.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • 16832022903018150742254685351797.jpg
    16832022903018150742254685351797.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Those look good. It is hard to say how moist is moist. I keep it sufficiently moist to be moist to the touch, but not wet.

For water dishes I use things like plastic peanut butter lids etc.

middy74

I'm monitoring the enclosure for a week or so before I order my concern is mould them little balls that appear at the bottom, I've got springtails and isopods in there and I'm feeding a bit of yeast I don't want to be cleaning her out every month hopefully clean up crew will deal with issues like that if needed I'll add more Hole's for more ventilation my room temps run at 75f stable my soil does clump together if I squeeze it but no water runs out and it does fall apart easily if that makes sense.