• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. audax and other feeding observations

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's feeding night so I've had the pleasure of sitting for the last few hours enjoying my T's and spider.

Fed Popeye my WC jumper and tried to get pics but he's to small for my cell to really focus on. What I noticed is his chilicerae (butchered that one didn't i? :oops:) are a really bright almost florescent green. And there's a touch of this green with the white bands on his legs.

It would be awesome for one of you awesome photographers to show that in a pic, if you have a jumper anyway.

Another thing I noticed tonight is he pays attention to lights. Could be he was tired of being in my son's cave of a bedroom. But when my flash would go off he'd turn and face that direction. So I got a flashlight and turned it on and he would turn to face it every time. Was kinda cool to see a spider not run from the light.

They have a different threat pose also. When the little pinhead lateralis first ran near him he threw his popeye legs wide, reminded me of a scorpion.

Also had the pleasure of watching Koby, the B. boehmei juvie finish his meal and make the bolus ball. Never seen how they do that before. He would drop it, then web it a bit, then pick it up and roll it with his mouth and fangs into the ball. Then he drops it in his corner.

Missingno, my larger B. albo, is so into his food he can't be bothered to turn back over after he steam rolled the roach and ended up on his back. He lay there on his back munching away. Didn't right himself till I put the lid back on.

Chum, my LP, did his push up happy dance again. I'm thinking it's his way of saying thanks;)