• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Opinions on Pink Toes?

Meludox

3 Year Member
I'm really interested in getting another T. I have considered getting a B. Albopilosum from the internet or just getting the little Avic Avic from my local pet store. What is everyone's opinions on Avic Avics? Temperament, feeding frequency, etc? Also should I just wait to get the Curlyhair online? I am much more drawn to that species.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Both are great tarantulas to own. Both are known for being docile, though individuals vary in any species. I have a few Avics that eat regularly, and a few that fast a lot. My curly eats like a beast. Avic avics are not very big, but they're usually bold, and show themselves constantly, in my experience. The cuteness factor of both of these is off the scale..hmmm. I'd say get both. The one at the pet store can't be more than 20-25 dollars right? Just remember, lots of air holes for the avic, for any species, but particularly for the avic, and a big water dish for moisture, and you're good to go. Avics also seem to be a curious species, as mine are constantly crawling out when I open their enclosures. Just don't startle them and they shouldn't jump and run away ;) I love both species, but the avics are...funner to own, in my opinion. My curly is obviously spider royalty, she doesn't even acknowledge my presence most of the time. I hear as slings they like to dig and do construction work, I got mine at 2 inches so I missed that. Hope this helps:)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Why not just order the Avic online? You'll have a much better selection to choose from, and you'll actually know what your getting. Store bought Avics are often wild caught males who don't have long to live. A.metallica are a great choice. They're larger than A.avic and prettier IMO. Avics do well with lots of cross ventilation (air holes on the sides of the enclosure) and not too moist. Maybe even get one of the less common species like A.amazonica or A.geroldi if you can find them.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You won't be dissapointed. There are lots of Avics to choose from.

Meludox

3 Year Member
I went ahead and got the Curlyhair. It was simply higher on my list and the entire setup was in my budget. A 2" male from Jamie's Tarantulas. I'm excited!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Enjoy it! If and when you do decide to get an Avic, I can show you some pictures of my set ups to use as reference. I keep my juveniles in tall 1 Gal plastic containers that I buy at Wal-Mart for around $3 each.