• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not a Bite But .,,, Urticating Hairs! Anyone experience any other issue than a rash? Ever get in your eye? etc....

Dr. Phibes

Just curious has anyone had any major issues with urticating hairs? I understand can be a major issue if gets in your eye and even requiring surgery to extract... I have all New World T's and most are kickers. Any cautions other than don't put near your face when handling and wash your hands-arms after handing. Appreciate your feedback. Take Care

Lentulus

3 Year Member
I caught T‘s in the wild as a child. Aphonopelma steindachneri I think but can’t confirm. Let em crawl all over hands, arms, head, clothes, and like any good boy, never put any thought into washing anything after. Simply moved on to other forms of play after getting board. It wasn’t an issue for me or the dozens of other kids in our group.

I imagine all the hysteria behind the hairs likely come from prolonged exposure and naturally those with more sensitive skin. For what it’s worth.

Reptisect

3 Year Member
Just curious has anyone had any major issues with urticating hairs? I understand can be a major issue if gets in your eye and even requiring surgery to extract... I have all New World T's and most are kickers. Any cautions other than don't put near your face when handling and wash your hands-arms after handing. Appreciate your feedback. Take Care
Honestly if I see someone using I hazmat suit to rehouse a chaco golden knee, I wouldn't even judge them. I know the pain like the back of my hand (definitely a coincidence I said hand and pain in a thread about urticating hairs)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We always keep some of those one per day hayfever, (Antihistamine at 30 for £1) in the cupboard. I occasionally get haired on feeding night & normally washing my hands does the trick. But, I normally top that up with an antihistamine, as they are so cheap & it stops that horrible middle of the night irritation, that occasionally occurs.

nellyitchabelly

Honestly if I see someone using I hazmat suit to rehouse a chaco golden knee, I wouldn't even judge them. I know the pain like the back of my hand (definitely a coincidence I said hand and pain in a thread about urticating hairs)
I'm new at this hobby but after reading the and hearing about those hairs I put gloves on, a face mask on and safety glasses over my glasses because I understand they could cause serious issues if they get inside you

I normally just wear gloves and keep my face away from anywhere it shouldn't be. I've never had hairs kicked at me, but I've gotten them on my hands cleaning water bowls and such. Didn't really bother me after a few minutes of itchiness, but I figured gloves would just make life easier in the long run.

thholyghst

I got haired for the first time when I brought home my B. Hamorii washed my hands real well afterwards too so it took a good minute to realize why my hands were so relentlessly itchy lmao I plan on wearing at least gloves next time I’m doing anything in her enclosure. I think my skins a bit on the sensitive side though. I’d imagine the severity differs person to person but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

GarField000

3 Year Member
I never use any gloves or mask or anything. Never had any issue with hairs.
I don't handle them but with rehouse I just cup them and place in the old one.
Cleaning out their old homes as well .. never any issue.

I know people that had to get rid off the NW because they had a lot off problems with their hairs. People just react different to the hairs.

nellyitchabelly

I have a very serious hair kicker and when I do anything with her I put my safety glasses on I put gloves on and wear long sleeves also I have something to catch her with in case you Dodges out so far I've been very lucky and my this is just my first year raising tarantulas and I haven't got any hairs kicked yet and that is a big Yet! Also I only deal with them when I am sitting on the floor . Hope this helps. Maybe you can put some take some Benadryl and put a little bit of calamine lotion on your skin I don't know I've never been

Latest posts