• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to keeping Tarantulas, Just ordered Chilean rose Hair

Antsman

3 Year Member
I just ordered a Chilean rose hair, and was wondering if I have the right gear.
I have a 10g fish tank, some peat moss, a hide, water dish, 100w heat lamp, and a lot of super worms. ( I keep ants)
She should be here in 2 days.
Is there anything I should know before she gets here?

Redacted

3 Year Member
I just ordered a Chilean rose hair, and was wondering if I have the right gear.
I have a 10g fish tank, some peat moss, a hide, water dish, 100w heat lamp, and a lot of super worms. ( I keep ants)
She should be here in 2 days.
Is there anything I should know before she gets here?
How big is the T? If a sub-adult to adult, 10 gal is fine even if generous. The concern is that the substrate depth must be high enough so that your T can survive a spill when it climbs the glass. Given my druthers, I would go with a large Kritter keeper with eco earth kept dry, a water bowl, and some sort of lean-to for a hide. Winters in the 60-70 F range and summers in the mid-70s-low 80s F range are ideal.

Also, Chilean Rosehair could mean Grammostola porteri- copper top, mousy/gray hair. The perennial classic.
Might also refer to G. rosea, the Red Color Form (RCF)- reddish-maroon everywhere.
Unfortunately, it might also refer to G. 'North', an unidentified probable species from very northern Chile. It is brassy/tan all over and a wonderful animal- my favorite, actually, but is sold as a Rosehair because the actual Rosehair is semi-restricted in Chile now.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd agree with the Kritter Keeper, or similar enclosure. Don't use a heat lamp, that just dries everything out and causes problems. If you're comfy in the room the spider is in with a t-shirt the tarantula will be fine.

G. porteri/rosea like it dry, don't moisten the moss, i'd just use it for decoration. Water dish is all they need for humidity control.

Antsman

3 Year Member
I'd agree with the Kritter Keeper, or similar enclosure. Don't use a heat lamp, that just dries everything out and causes problems. If you're comfy in the room the spider is in with a t-shirt the tarantula will be fine.

G. porteri/rosea like it dry, don't moisten the moss, i'd just use it for decoration. Water dish is all they need for humidity control.

The room she will be in is about 75F in the summer, 60F in the winter. I'm getting some eco-earth, a few decorations/hide, and a small water dish. Will 2" of substrate be enough for her to fall on?

Redacted

3 Year Member
General rule of thumb is height not to excede 1.5X its diafonal leg span. Your temps are good. Please post a pic when you get the T.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That means the sub has to come up 3/4 of the tank at least if you use the ten gallon hun. 4 and a half five inches max between top of sub and top of tank. No heat lamp!
I Have a rosea, a porteri and a questionable big girl. (Probably porteri) anyway, they'll do fine at room temps as already been said by @kormath and @Walter1

Latest posts