• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to hobby, P. Ornata is restless.

coli1187

3 Year Member
I have only been in the hobby for about 6 months. I have started a small collection and just recently added a 31/2" -4" P. Ornata to my list of charges. He/She is roaming around the enclosure every few minutes, never seeming to settle for more then a short period before moving to another location. seemingly uncomfortable and restless. I did a lot of research before making the purchase but never came across this behavior. Hoping for any helpful tips on possibly why he/she is acting this way. Thanks in advance :)

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome coli1187. I have had an Ornata for over two years now. Mine has never displayed this kind of behavior. Sounds like stress. You may want to provide a photo of the enclosure and share what temperature and humidity you are trying to maintain. Would help troubleshoot your situation.

Poec54

3 Year Member
If they have a retreat they feel secure in, they won't be roaming all the time. I give all of my spiders, Poecs included, cork slabs, angled against the side of the cage.

coli1187

3 Year Member
I have only been in the hobby for about 6 months. I have started a small collection and just recently added a 31/2" -4" P. Ornata to my list of charges. He/She is roaming around the enclosure every few minutes, never seeming to settle for more then a short period before moving to another location. seemingly uncomfortable and restless. I did a lot of research before making the purchase but never came across this behavior. Hoping for any helpful tips on possibly why he/she is acting this way. Thanks in advance :)

coli1187

3 Year Member
The temperature is being kept between 75-80 degrees. When I put his enclosure together I used a piece of cork slab, attached it to the top of the enclosure and a little more then an inch away from the back wall being sure to leave him enough space to hide himself completely. As for humidity I don't have a way to measure that, but I do keep a full water dish at all times, as well as properly moistened substrate with occasional misting as needed. I've only had him for about 4 days now, but his behavior is enough to concern me. image.jpg image.jpgThank you for Youre response :)

Poec54

3 Year Member
All of my Poecs have their cork slabs on the substrate (leaning on the side), and live under them (yes, they dig). While they spend some time on the sides, none stay up at the top of their cages like Avics do.

coli1187

3 Year Member
Hmm. That is some food for thought. If this is his/her problem do you think it wise to rehouse her so soon after her abduction and adventure in the mail ? Or should I wait and try your suggestion later on ?

Poec54

3 Year Member
She's certainly not settling in now; how long do you want that to go on? Mine use their retreats on the substrate.

How do you know the sex? Have you checked the vent? Can you post some close up pics?

Latest posts