• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New self made plexiglass lid

Clownc0ffin

I'm so sorry for all the posts I don't want to keep bugging but do you guys think she's getting enough ventilation? There's 98 holes in here. 9/64 holes for the 20.5" X 10"5 x 8" enclosure. This is her first day here and she was already climbing so I wanted to get it done. (There's no holes in the side of the enclosure) She's in that plastic container while I was testing the lid out momentarily so I don't stress her out.

Attachments

• 20241018_215702.jpg
    20241018_215702.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 901

Clownc0ffin

I'm so sorry for all the posts I don't want to keep bugging but do you guys think she's getting enough ventilation? There's 98 holes in here. 9/64 holes for the 20.5" X 10"5 x 8" enclosure. This is her first day here and she was already climbing so I wanted to get it done. (There's no holes in the side of the enclosure) She's in that plastic container while I was testing the lid out momentarily so I don't stress her out.
I don't mean to worry so much I think it's just first time owner stress but she can't seem to climb glass all of a sudden. I just added more substrate so that she doesn't hurt herself because she keeps falling but she can't seem to hold onto glass and I read that it could be a premolt symptom but I fed her earlier and she ate just fine. She's been running around for a while probably because it's new but I don't understand why she can't stick onto the glass anymore. Maybe it's dirty? I have a problem where I stress extremely bad over my pets and her sliding and not being able to grip onto the glass out of nowhere is worrying me. Maybe I should clean it

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There are more than sufficient air holes in that. We keep one of our chances in a glass enclosure that has less air flow than yours.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The distance between the substrate and the lid should be between leg span and leg span and a half. Ideally. This stops harmful falls.

Jeef

3 Year Member
I kept a B. smithi in a setup just like that and it was fine. I'm impressed you didn't crack the plexiglass. I got so disgusted I had to go get a soldering iron.

I always got the impression that ventilation was more about keeping mold and fungi in check. A. chalcodes is a desert species, so moisture is kind of out of that equation. I sometimes get white spots in the substrate when I overflow the water dish, but nothing to get excited about. When I do, I just let the substrate dry out. Some folks will even argue you don't need a water dish.

Tarantulas are always weird for the first few days in their enclosures. They refuse to walk on the substrate, climb up to the corners ect... Eventually, they settle in and if mine is any indication, sit in one spot for days at a time.

Clownc0ffin

I kept a B. smithi in a setup just like that and it was fine. I'm impressed you didn't crack the plexiglass. I got so disgusted I had to go get a soldering iron.

I always got the impression that ventilation was more about keeping mold and fungi in check. A. chalcodes is a desert species, so moisture is kind of out of that equation. I sometimes get white spots in the substrate when I overflow the water dish, but nothing to get excited about. When I do, I just let the substrate dry out. Some folks will even argue you don't need a water dish.

Tarantulas are always weird for the first few days in their enclosures. They refuse to walk on the substrate, climb up to the corners ect... Eventually, they settle in and if mine is any indication, sit in one spot for days at a time.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I know it's probably a little silly watching us new owners be so preoccupied. My boyfriend's dad has a lot of tools (he works in a shop) I was surprised he didn't crack it either but he was very certain of himself. I'm very used to having high maintenance animals and constantly stressing over their well-being (birds).

Latest posts