• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New OBT

adz07

3 Year Member
Ok here she is my new OBT
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408017708.263854.jpg

Now I read that they were fast and when I was unpacking the little one I placed her in her new home she then made a run for it out I the enclosure and across my kitchen worktop luckily I managed to put the tub she came in over her before she actually escaped and got her into her goon safely :)

Flud

3 Year Member
Good save! The more I read about these little turds, the less likely i get to buying one.. For the time being!!

adz07

3 Year Member
Yeah it was a good save just glad I caught her in time, she doesn't appear too stressed by it though she is happily sat munching a meal worm now :) xx

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Congrats on the new addition. They are beautiful once the colors come in more. Don't have any of my own yet but I have a juvie male im T sitting its the only T I've ever had try to bite me. When I was unpacking it, it struck the paint brush, then went for my hand just flailing his fangs around basically. Then finally pulled some ninja sh*t and teleported into the enclosure.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congrats on your your new acquisition! They are quick as lightning and can be quite the little escape artists when afforded the opportunity. Still, they are gorgeous Ts with definite "personality". :)

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
I had a Juvie OBT escape before and she managed to set up shop about 4 feet over under my Versicolor cage. I found her when i was doing enclosure cleaning for my Versi. OBT (Tange) didn't make a break for it and was easily recovered. The are fast and in most cases it is a game of dexterity to keep them from escaping. This does not stop me from having them (2 of them actually) My Suntiger and Trinidad Chevron are faster. I favor arboreals and the more exotic of the T's. I like the challenge and they are breath taking to observe. I agree with Tomoran definitely have a personality.

adz07

3 Year Member
Well she seems to have settled in since her escape attempt I can manage to open her enclosure to put in food and spot clean without her making a break for freedom :)

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ha! If they have a place where they can hide and feel secure, they're usually fine. If mine are out now, all I have to do is tap the enclosure and they retreat to their burrows. Before they constructed burrows, however, it could get hairy when you tried to open the cage. I have video of my girl throwing up a wicked threat posture when I surprised her one morning! :)

adz07

3 Year Member
Nice you should post it up be cool to watch, all mine so far are brilliant never shown a threat posture once :)

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Here she is when I caught her out early one morning before work. I surprised her when I turned the lights on in my T room, and instead of hiding, she stood her ground. Every time my wife shut the laundry room door, she would strike. She's apparently not a morning spider. :)

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
Interesting, She looks stressed. any chance you can add some more foliage or something for her to cling to to start webbing even loose clumps of moss she will pull to one spot and use to build her own hide. Lastly That tanks seems a bit large of her. She is gorgeous.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks so much, guys!

I probably should add more info. The video was taken in October of last year. I was expecting a larger T when I received her, hence the larger cage. Plus, with the more aggressive species, I usually give them a little extra room to eliminate the necessity to rehouse as often (an OBT sling I have has been rehoused twice already). I also added more substrate later on, as the coco fiber settled quite a bit. She actually spends the majority of the time in her den, and she has already webbed quite a bit around the cork bark and the entrances. When I received her, she was about 2.5". She has molted several times since then, and is now around 3.5-4" or so (and looking gorgeously orange).

This video was one of only two times she threw the threat posture up; the other was when I originally housed her. In this case, I surprised her when I turned on the light at 4:30 in the morning and she was away from her den. :) Now when I turn the light on, she'll linger calmly before retreating to her den.

Latest posts