• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New B. Smithi - CLIMBING

CRYROLFE

3 Year Member
Hi guys, I'm new to the board and just purchased a new b. smithi tarantula - juvenile ...they think about a year old. She is in an Exo Terra and is at the top on the screen all the time....mostly at night.

She is near our television and not sure if that freaks her out or is she just climbing around. I now know I need to raise her substrate....but should I remove the foam backing decor in the cage to make it more difficult to climb up?

morticia sm.jpg

TJB13

3 Year Member
I would leave the backdrop, if they want to climb and can...they will. Just add substrate like you said. Move her to a place that's quiter and darker. You will read a lot that it takes most tarantulas a little while to settle into there new home.

CRYROLFE

3 Year Member
Thanks.....but now I'm afraid that she'll get her claws stuck in the screen on top. It's a pretty fine mesh so maybe I'm worrying for nothing. Has anyone had any issues w/ the Exo Terras?

TJB13

3 Year Member
I use them for arboreals. They have been on the screen and I didn't have an issue. There settled and spend most of there time in the hide.

CRYROLFE

3 Year Member
Well, it would be a good excuse to get another T....:) Now what to get.....there is also a reptile show coming up in Nov. so maybe I'll get something there .....if I wait that long...lol.

torstrum

3 Year Member
My B emilia use to do the same thing a lot, straight up the side and sometimes upside down on the screen. Sometimes it's triggered by humidity or temps being off, other than that it can be something like airflow, mine climbs a lot when the fan is on or the AC in the summer. Sometimes they'll still just climb though

Latest posts