• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need some help...Marshalli or Darlingi

Xinowulf

3 Year Member
I just bought this one today. Which one is it though?
1B4CE4B0-CC7E-47E9-BB48-5981159C1D04.jpeg
DDAC3CAF-931C-440B-A237-58A5C886735E.jpeg
8A14C6DD-0469-4BE4-925D-32321EC4CF69.jpeg

Xinowulf

3 Year Member
Sorry. What I meant was when I bought this one today I forgot there were two different horned baboons. I ordered one that hasn’t came in yet and I bought this one today at my local reptile shop. The one I ordered was a marshalli. And I thought this was one too until I got home and really looked at it and remembered there was a rear horned as well.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry. What I meant was when I bought this one today I forgot there were two different horned baboons. I ordered one that hasn’t came in yet and I bought this one today at my local reptile shop. The one I ordered was a marshalli. And I thought this was one too until I got home and really looked at it and remembered there was a rear horned as well.
Ahh, ok. You should check out tarantupedia, they're big on african sp., you may find an answer there. I never looked into the difference, but I know many look similar.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There are more than 2 species of horned Baboons
I have:-
Ceratogyrus darlingii - East African Horned Baboon
Ceratogyrus brachycephalus(hobby form) - Rhino Horned Baboon
Ceratogyrus marshali - Great horned Baboon
Ceratogyrus sp. Mozambique - Bendy Horned Baboon

And there is also the NW Sphaerobothria hoffmanni - Costa Rican Horned.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hang on bud, don't be discouraged just yet..the pic of a marshalli Enn posted looks..well..nothing like my adult female. It's not horns or coloration that describe the species, in and of itself. Enn wouldnt post it thinking otherwise, I think. None of it is so simple, with any Genera of tarantula. I'm just saying, **** like this makes it difficult for some species. Research it. Search and research..the answer is there, find it. Dry anatomy discription papers can tell you much more than any forum thread. We all mostly go by experience with different sp..thats how you REALLY get to know them. Enn, you didnt give your opinion, as usual, I'm sure because you weren't positive..but really, how many things are we positive about in this hobby?
Opinions matter..Experience matters..what sp do you think this is, @Enn49 ? The girl that started with an OBT surely has an opinion..if only to give the op a place to start.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
This is making me think I don’t want to buy T’s labeled with their common name. I try to use the Latin name but I think I’ll be trying a little harder now.

Bingo! Thats exactly why I only pay attention to the latin name, with few exceptions. Its pretty tough to get GBB, D diamantinensis and a few others mixed up with anything else. Beyond those its always latin name for me. Even then you occasionally get someone that just guesses on the latin name, which doesn’t help.

On a seperate but related topic, I’ll be interested to see if GBBs start getting passed of as the new Aphonapelma species...

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
All the pics I've put up are slings.

I forgot to add a pic of my sanderi
dscf5377-2-jpg.29603

Hang on bud, don't be discouraged just yet..the pic of a marshalli Enn posted looks..well..nothing like my adult female. It's not horns or coloration that describe the species, in and of itself. Enn wouldnt post it thinking otherwise, I think. None of it is so simple, with any Genera of tarantula. I'm just saying, **** like this makes it difficult for some species. Research it. Search and research..the answer is there, find it. Dry anatomy discription papers can tell you much more than any forum thread. We all mostly go by experience with different sp..thats how you REALLY get to know them. Enn, you didnt give your opinion, as usual, I'm sure because you weren't positive..but really, how many things are we positive about in this hobby?
Opinions matter..Experience matters..what sp do you think this is, @Enn49 ? The girl that started with an OBT surely has an opinion..if only to give the op a place to start.

Slings are always hard to identify but I'd suggest it's a sanderi, the colour is similar.. It will be easier to make a more exact identity when it has grown a bit.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lmao, I've had one adult marshalli, grown old and died in my care, wild caught. Yet I know little about the genus. Even after researching them all, years ago.
I'd be willing to bet Enn is correct. Who wants to wager ..$5.00..(sorry, I don't bet often..I need money for my addictions)..so..who wants to bet? 5 bucks. Dont be sissys..

Latest posts