• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need info on Grammostola Pulchra

Arlo

Hey, everyone!

I bought my very first T. (Shelob, a Tliltocatl Albopilosus) at an expo back in September and, after falling in love with her, I decided to purchase a Grammostola Pulchra (Which I will obviously name Ungoliant lol). I have already paid for a 2" confirmed female and will be picking her up as soon as her tank arrives.

I know Grammostola Pulchras are terrestrial, but I was reading they don't burrow much and don't need too much substrate. Then again, I read the same thing about my T. Albo, but she is obsessed with digging and burrowing.

Would anybody with experience with GPs be able to share some insights on this species?

Thanks in advance to everybody who will reply :)

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello Arlo,

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your black beauty once you'll have her.
I have 3 of them and my setups have about 1.5 to 2 inches of substrate. Within the species, individuals might have different behaviors but it seems mine are no keen on digging although all 3 created a decent borrow under the piece of bark they all have. They seem as well to be quite comfortable in the open and their burrow is used very often as a spot to stand on rather than to be hiding below.
Last but not least, a fresh cup of water is always needed but they do not seem to care much about moist substrate and my setups are fairly dry.
Hoping this helps, have a great day.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They bull doze the earth...
20211026_162333.jpg

Arlo

They bull doze the earth...View attachment 60829
So lots of substrate? Got it
Hello Arlo,

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your black beauty once you'll have her.
I have 3 of them and my setups have about 1.5 to 2 inches of substrate. Within the species, individuals might have different behaviors but it seems mine are no keen on digging although all 3 created a decent borrow under the piece of bark they all have. They seem as well to be quite comfortable in the open and their burrow is used very often as a spot to stand on rather than to be hiding below.
Last but not least, a fresh cup of water is always needed but they do not seem to care much about moist substrate and my setups are fairly dry.
Hoping this helps, have a great day.
This helps a ton! I'm excited to receive a T that will hopefully be out in the open a lot. Thank you so much for all the information :) I will make sure to post many photos as soon as I get this new furry baby.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So lots of substrate? Got it

This helps a ton! I'm excited to receive a T that will hopefully be out in the open a lot. Thank you so much for all the information :) I will make sure to post many photos as soon as I get this new furry baby.
Please keep in mind that slings and juvies have a tendency to hide a lot more but at least for my experience, once they reach a decent size, they seem to really enjoy roaming around the enclosure peacefully.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think generally they will use what you give them in terms of substrate. I have two and put their cork bark on higher ground in case they want to excavate a lot underneath. One did and made a spacious she cave for herself. Eventually it became lopsided.

I believe the G. pulchras, the Brazilian Black Tarantulas' natural habitat is a dry grasslands so fairly dry is good.

Very beautiful T as Arachnoclown's picture attests.

Arlo

I think generally they will use what you give them in terms of substrate. I have two and put their cork bark on higher ground in case they want to excavate a lot underneath. One did and made a spacious she cave for herself. Eventually it became lopsided.

I believe the G. pulchras, the Brazilian Black Tarantulas' natural habitat is a dry grasslands so fairly dry is good.

Very beautiful T as Arachnoclown's picture attests.
Thank you so much, DustyD! I'm so excited!

Latest posts