• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help with true spiders.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
As of lately I've been interested in getting some different true spiders to add to my collection. My nephew saved a little Trochosa ruricola from our bathtub awhile back and has been taking care of it. Pretty impressive for a little grass spider, it's a good eater and he's got it to grow a good bit. All this has intrigued me to get more true spiders and a nearby pet shop has huntsman spiders for sale(picture posted below) and I'm very interested in picking one up this weekend but aside from my Acanthogonatus franki(which seems like a T) and some bold jumpers, I've never really messed with any other spiders. Just curious exactly what kind of huntsman is the one im looking to buy and also in your opinions what are some other true spiders i should look for in the future?
Screenshot_2019-04-10-12-26-22(1).png

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This can be a new experience for all of us then:D

Yes it can. Funnily enough I have a small spider in a container that my son caught in the kitchen a few weeks ago and I have no idea what it is but it happily takes down crickets. It's a UK species and I really ought to get a photo to post on here for ID :D

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Yes it can. Funnily enough I have a small spider in a container that my son caught in the kitchen a few weeks ago and I have no idea what it is but it happily takes down crickets. It's a UK species and I really ought to get a photo to post on here for ID :D
They are just as fun as Ts. Here's the little guy we have. Eats like a champ and has molted for us already. We have them all over the place here but still a cool little guy.
20190407_131144.jpg
20190407_131211.jpg

T-Baby

3 Year Member
You won’t regret getting in to True Spiders @Tgotty90 they are every bit as fun to keep as Tarantulas.
The Huntsmen in your petshop is a Heteropoda Venatoria, they’re lightening quick, you think pokies are fast? Nothing compared to Huntsmens! The good thing is that they very rarely bite, a tank needs to be big enough for them to stretch their legs but mostly they’ll sit with their legs curled and kept arboreal, females tend to lay phantom eggs sacs during maturity and 9/10 will die shortly after, so I’d ask if it’s WC. I tend to mist once a week as I’m not putting a water dish in and simply just throw food in and shut the lid. Quick. And as with most true spiders their venom potency is much greater then Tarantulas so I’d read up on that prior to buying any. Depending on the levels it may be worth buying a locking tank, to prevent fatalities. Yes that’s right, some have that potential. Sicarius Hahni is a very deadly sand spider, which luckily for us rarely bites and can’t climb glass/plastic.
True spiders do not live as long as Tarantulas, it doesn’t matter in most species if it’s male or female. 3-5 years is the average. Obviously there are exceptions.
I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions and I’ll do what I can!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I recommend any huntsman, black hole spiders, any jumping spider, wolf spiders, green lynx are cool looking and unique..hell, any of them except the dangerous ones, like widows, recluses, sand spiders, etc. I just find them outside and watch them though, I dont keep them. Oh, and every trap door spider I ever found had a serious attitude problem.

Latest posts