• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help..... Blonde molting ?

rdoss41075

My grandson discovered my Blonde on it's back, legs extended. Unfortunately he moved it as it was in it's rock hidey hole. He thought it had died. Since it is limp and not rigid like I assume a dead one to be, I have left it alone. Could he be in molt instead of dead? I'm having a little trouble with this because of the following:
1) he has had a bald spot on the abdomin, but this has been there for a year +. I assumed this happened because he was stressed by some of the large crickets we were giving him. Could have been pre-molt for so long?
2) he never was a consistant eater. I would give him a cricket once a week, then started finding them dead, uneaten in his cage. Went once every 2 weeks and so on settling on once every six weeks as this suited him. So it's hard to tell if his appetite was diminished.

It's been 3 days since discovery and nothing. How long should it take for molt? Am I just watching a dead animal, hoping?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
On his back it is most likely moulting, dead Ts are normally upright but curled up.
Is he still on his back?

x_raphael_xx

Could you post a pic?
They do stop eating a while before a molt. The bigger the T, the longer the molt can take, however it's usually a case of hours rather than days.

Salatia

I am concerned that someone who doesn't understand their care and signs of death is accessing the enclosure - I can't imagine anyone interfering with any of my pets in any condition without permission, least of all those that can move in a flash.

I recommend you also do further reasearch, because hairless patches occur due to use of their urticating hairs - which can be very irritating on skin contact - and so exist from whenever they appear until the next molt. Which takes longer as they grow, both the process starting and completing.

It's difficult to tell if they have passed whilst trying to molt. Usually on their back is molting, with some movement like wriggling and stretching with rest breaks. These are short typically but if they were in darkness only to suddenly be exposed to light it wouldn't be unexpected for them to delay moving in case of danger, if there's been movement sensed that means the danger may pass.

One key thing with moulting is how it occurs. They lay web down called a moult mat, which seems to help in securing their exoskeleton and allowing them to pull away from it once the enzymes in the fluid beneath it start to allow it to separate. This is one reason we urge everyone to know the signs a moult is occurring and impress that they must not interrupt. At the very least, not unless it is an emergency - and in any case, an emergency is if they are stuck, and if they haven't moulted even the carapace at that point then there really is little chance of being able to help anyway.

I hope a problem hasn't arisen. Pictures are useful, though how much varies.