• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need advice

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
My B. smithi molted today and I noticed its one leg is thinner and white. The molt is missing that leg. Is there anything I should do? Or will it correct itself after a few molts? (First time this has ever happened)
IMG_20160629_213226.jpg
IMG_20160629_212927.jpg

timc

3 Year Member
To my knowledge there isn't anything you really can do. It'll fix itself over the next molt or two. Sometimes these things just happen. Luckily it's still a little fella and it should be back to normal sooner rather than later.

Will

3 Year Member
It probably lost its leg previously without you noticing it. The thinner and whiter leg you see after molt must be the new one. It'll be just like the others in one or two more molts.

Yeah I was thinking exactly this. I've had a few T's with missing legs and this is exactly what the new legs look like. First of all they're a bit stunted, but after the next moult it will be pretty much full size.

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Eek! I'm a bad parent. I just looked back in my photos and it was missing a leg! It molted fine March 14, had all legs afterwards. June 1 photo, no leg... I hope that doesn't happen again!

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
You're no bad parent! I didn't notice my son was missing a leg until my wife told me... and I'm a good father! lol!

Joke aside, it happens. At this size, it's not easy to notice such things. But as far as I've read from you, you truly care about your Ts, then don't blame yourself, even with a tongue in cheeks! :p

Last edited:

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Thank you. I was more in shock I didn't notice, like I forgot to count! You know seven, eight, all the same and this photo I took is quite obvious!!!!
IMG_20160601_212106.jpg

We did move in April and had a weekend of the stomach flu that month, so my mind wasn't all there. Glad she/he will live and I'll remember to count legs more often!

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Its easy to mistake their pedipalps as a leg. I've had folks say, they have 10 legs??? i say nope. the front pair is their padipalps they feel around with.
It's easy not to notice :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Its easy to mistake their pedipalps as a leg. I've had folks say, they have 10 legs??? i say nope. the front pair is their padipalps they feel around with.
It's easy not to notice :)
My daughter refers to them as arms. Considering she's actually arachnophobic any interest is good interest. She now claims my
A anax as hers. From a distance though lol.

Latest posts