• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My tiny B vagans

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
I purchased a G pulchripes at a recent reptile expo, and the vendor was doing a deal: a free B vagans with purchase of another T. So now I have a wee little sling. Initially it was like having a container of pet dirt, but lately I've been seeing more of the little guy and decided to snap a few photos :) This is my first tiny little sling and I'm quite taken with him. I look forward to watching him grow.

4135ab012a9391cc87ec14a0aadd2d4f.jpg

234150175da58460059de684274d0dd9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Redacted

3 Year Member
I purchased a G pulchripes at a recent reptile expo, and the vendor was doing a deal: a free B vagans with purchase of another T. So now I have a wee little sling. Initially it was like having a container of pet dirt, but lately I've been seeing more of the little guy and decided to snap a few photos :) This is my first tiny little sling and I'm quite taken with him. I look forward to watching him grow.

4135ab012a9391cc87ec14a0aadd2d4f.jpg

234150175da58460059de684274d0dd9.jpg

The're a lot more durable at that size as well. Good job.

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
Thank you :) I don't know much about what to do with such a tiny baby. I let him scavenge feed on the smallest crickets I can find. I've recently started breeding them in small quantities, so that I have pinheads on hand. Typically I feed my babies weekly, but as tiny as he is, does he need food twice weekly?

Also, should I keep the substrate moist for humidity, or will he get the hydration he needs from the crickets? He's too small for a bottle cap water bowl.

I want to do the very best for my little guy so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Redacted

3 Year Member
Thank you :) I don't know much about what to do with such a tiny baby. I let him scavenge feed on the smallest crickets I can find. I've recently started breeding them in small quantities, so that I have pinheads on hand. Typically I feed my babies weekly, but as tiny as he is, does he need food twice weekly?

Also, should I keep the substrate moist for humidity, or will he get the hydration he needs from the crickets? He's too small for a bottle cap water bowl.

I want to do the very best for my little guy so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Not so difficult. Slightly moist substrate and enough bug parts to keep his abdomen plump. 2X/week is a good place to start. Can mist sometimes. Don't want them on dry. You're doing well with him/her.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cute. Even better when they are free. It is the best feeling growing them on. Try it on pinheads though as son as you can. One of my favourite sayings when it comes to feeding Ts is taken from the classic Jurassic Park when they are feeding the T Rex with a sacrificial goat....."T-rex doesn't want to be fed, she wants to hunt". Prekilled and scavange is fine but it is much better watching the little uns take down live prey and use their natural born instincts :)

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
His/her next meal will be a pinhead. Trying to wrangle those nearly microscopic crickets will be a chore!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
His/her next meal will be a pinhead. Trying to wrangle those nearly microscopic crickets will be a chore!

Ha ha, yes they can be awkward. I tap them out of their main container into a sling pot and then into the spiders pot. The ones left in the sling pot are then returned. That method seems to work for me anyway ☺

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
Ha ha, yes they can be awkward. I tap them out of their main container into a sling pot and then into the spiders pot. The ones left in the sling pot are then returned. That method seems to work for me anyway ☺
I'll give that method a try :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
for the tiny crickets a straw or tube of an ink pen work well also. Just plug on end and they'll crawl inside to hide, then you can tap them out into catch cups or right into the T's waiting fangs.

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
My little vagans didn't make it. The little guy skipped a meal, no biggie, I thought perhaps it was in premolt. Then I found the little guy dead in his deli. I know this can happen with tiny slings, but I can't help but wonder if maybe I missed something, or should have done something different.

Latest posts