• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My pumkins' genders identified!

WhiteRabbit

3 Year Member
Alrighty! So they all reliably molt around the same time. The one I call 'uno' molted first and is very clearly male. I sexed the molt, yep. Male.

The other two took agonizingly long to molt. Nearly two months after uno, the one I call 'four' molted. No obvious change, I'm guessing female since it is the same in star as uno. The molt was too distroyed to sex. The one I call 'six' hasn't molted yet but it's butt is like,..large.

So I'm going to say confidently 1 male, 2 females.

On that note, now that uno has 'hooked out' how long do I have with him?

I was told to breed him while I have a chance, but what if my females aren't old enough to breed and just eat him???

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They'd get a hell of a meal :p

most i've read have agreed about a year give or take until his next molt then it's up in the air if he survives the ultimate molt how long he has after that. I'd check with breeders if your females aren't ready yet (or can't be confirmed as female yet) see if you can do a trade for a few slings or whatever.

@Scoolman or @SpiderDad61 posted a trade agreement, i never can remember which one, you should look at if you haven't already.

Or, as a last resort, you can euthanize him.

Venom2090

3 Year Member
what species is he? a P. murinus MMs usually lives only around 6 months with reports saying less after they mature. a brachy MM can awhile, most likely 1.2-1.5 years on average. my MM vagans is still going (barely) just a year over his ultimate molt. depends on the size and species of your females. age can also play a big role.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wait, I bought slings from the same sac as you and Nate..my 6 sp columbia large are all still babies...how could you have one hook out? Mine are an inch and a half, two inches dls..at most..they get 3-4 inches full grown..

Venom2090

3 Year Member
LIke i said last resort. i don't believe in letting animals suffer in their final moments, there is no such thing as a peaceful quiet death.
so you'll what, put it in the freezer? gas? thats a lot worse than letting it die my itself in its well set up enclosure.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
LIke i said last resort. i don't believe in letting animals suffer in their final moments, there is no such thing as a peaceful quiet death.
so you'll what, put it in the freezer? gas? thats a lot worse than letting it die my itself in its well set up enclosure.
Only way I'd freeze one of mine is if it were severely injured. I don't believe they experience pain the same way we do and they don't have enough cognitive ability to realize they are dieing and get fearful. They simply slow down and eventually stop. Personally allowing them to do that in what to them is their safe spot is how mine are going to go out

Having been with several of my close family, relatively recently, (been a hell of a time last couple years) there most certainly is peaceful death. Visited death twice myself, and quite possibly facing it in the near future. No drama just facts. Like I said last five years have been pure hell. We have a fully cognitive brain. So we fear death and the unknown. Our arachnids don't. They just go on till they stop.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
we can argue this forever but everyone has their own beliefs and will do as they see fit for their pets ;)