• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my mexican red knee broke her leg! HELP!!!!

colorado111

IMG_0779.jpeg

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What happened, was this a fall? I am assuming, from the bald patch, it did not happen during a molt.

My guess would be. If this causes your T any issues, she will drop the leg & it will then start to return during the next molt. If a leg is dropped, normally, the next molt sees a thin leg return & then on the molt after that, a normal leg returns.

One of my Brachy's developed a deformed rear leg during her last molt & has never shown any sign of it being an issue. So your T's leg, may not cause her any issues either.

A bum leg typically shouldn't hurt your T. My Chilobrachys Cat Tien when I got her during the unboxing her leg dropped out unattached from shipping container she was in! She then holed up in her hide for next 3 months till she molted. I had forgotten about the leg she lost till my son pointed it out and reminded me! Shore nuff the rear leg that was dropped had returned but a smaller version. She molted again and that rear leg looks close to all her others! My Monocentropous Balfori had a bad molt and lost 2 legs and a pedipalp on her left side. Her back leg on that side was misshapen so bad it stuck up in the air when she tried walking. Was heartbreaking to watch! We pre killed crickets for her and have nursed her back to a full 8 limbed and 2 whole pedipalps spider again. They are very tough and good at recovering from these type of injuries. Best of luck to you both and God bless!

mercydrury

A bum leg typically shouldn't hurt your T. My Chilobrachys Cat Tien when I got her during the unboxing her leg dropped out unattached from shipping container she was in! She then holed up in her hide for next 3 months till she molted. I had forgotten about the leg she lost till my son pointed it out and reminded me! Shore nuff the rear leg that was dropped had returned but a smaller version. She molted again and that rear leg looks close to all her others! My Monocentropous Balfori had a bad molt and lost 2 legs and a pedipalp on her left side. Her back leg on that side was misshapen so bad it stuck up in the air when she tried walking. Was heartbreaking to watch! We pre killed crickets for her and have nursed her back to a full 8 limbed and 2 whole pedipalps spider again. They are very tough and good at recovering from these type of injuries. Best of luck to you both and God bless!
Omg my heart would stop if a leg fell out!! There’s this kid I watch on YouTube and insta but he took the leg off that was like your M balfori I’m happy yours was able to be babied back to health!! I’ve yet to suffer a bad T molt but it happens often with my jumpers especially my babies I cry every time. Here’s the link for him pulling the leg off I would never risk it!

Dear goodness I would hate to have to watch bad molts numerous times! My Balfori made me shed a tear or 3 after the bad molt! It looked far worse than it was when we first found her thankfully! Some get completely stuck and you have no choice but to euthanize. Haven't had to do that yet thankfully! Thought about trying to catch one of our large jumpers here in SC to watch for a week or two! Jumpers are smart and very impressive at size of prey they can subdue. So cool!!

mercydrury

Dear goodness I would hate to have to watch bad molts numerous times! My Balfori made me shed a tear or 3 after the bad molt! It looked far worse than it was when we first found her thankfully! Some get completely stuck and you have no choice but to euthanize. Haven't had to do that yet thankfully! Thought about trying to catch one of our large jumpers here in SC to watch for a week or two! Jumpers are smart and very impressive at size of prey they can subdue. So cool!!
You should!! They are so cute when they hunt their little pedipalps start tapping so fast!! And they will turn and look at you when u talk and they walk with a purpose there are so many cool studies about their sight nemory and how smart they are using problem solving!! And SC has some cool species!! My aunts in NC so I get to go out that way every year beautiful out there lol but if I find one u will end up with more than one

You should!! They are so cute when they hunt their little pedipalps start tapping so fast!! And they will turn and look at you when u talk and they walk with a purpose there are so many cool studies about their sight nemory and how smart they are using problem solving!! And SC has some cool species!! My aunts in NC so I get to go out that way every year beautiful out there lol but if I find one u will end up with more than one
Lol, sounds cool! I like all spiders really and snakes too ! But I don't really want to fool with the heat lamps/rocks etc,etc with a snake! A Beaded Dragon would be cool or maybe better yet a Gila Monster!!! Lol. Expensive though!