• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Goliath bird eating spider pls help

Comerkid

3 Year Member
i bought a baby Goliath and she had 5 moults in the time I had her all successful but after her sixth moult about two or three days later I noticed her hanging around in the corner of the tank with her legs starting to curl up beneath her. So I got her out to have a look and noticed her abdomen was hard and crusty and later on that day she died. Can any one shed some light on what went wrong.

Comerkid

3 Year Member
As I got as a vey young spider about the size of a ten pence coin, she moulted quite a lot approx every 4 months and the firs 5 moults while I had her went fine no problems but the next moult which was more like 6 months went fine as well but a few days later I noticed she was looking poorly, she just sat in corner and her legs tucked up. So I got her out and I noticed her abdomen was rough and hardish not soft like. Later that day she died

elektragrl

3 Year Member
It's just a guess but it's possible that while the tarantulas exoskeleton was still hardening it may have injured itself by climbing the side of the tank and fell in a way that damage the sternum. That would account for the crusty underside. I wish I could help more again I'm so sorry for your lose.

Comerkid

3 Year Member
Sorry, it was rough and crusty on the top of her abdomen and there wasn't no hair on the abdomen it was al most bald do you think that the old abdomen didn't shed properly and that then dried out

elektragrl

3 Year Member
That is very possible with what your discribing if you had a picture I would be able to tell you with a little more Certainty.

Comerkid

3 Year Member
I going to get another one I think I've always wanted one at the moment I got a Mexican red knee had her for over 15 years she older than my kids , still can't think of a name for her

elektragrl

3 Year Member
Wow That's awesome! My Tarantulas are my baby's right now lol. I'm not all that great with naming them ether. I have 3 Tarantulas ATM. OBT- Squitter, A. Avic- Spinarak, and P. Striata- TIBS.
I had been using video game spiders or a movie spider. Someone on here told me to use things or places that come from thier native habitat

Comerkid

3 Year Member
Can't send pics as this happened to me over six months ago but do you think it had trouble with moult. I think she couldn't shed her abdomen fully and that's what went hard and rough to the touch, what you think:T:

Latest posts