• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first turantula

Aragog

3 Year Member
Hello! I just got my first turantula a few days ago and just set up her terrarium. She's a Grammostola pulchripe and I named her Victoria. I got her from a pet store that was a more family owned thing and a woman who worked there had brought in her turantulas. She unfortunately had to give them a way because her son has bug allergies. So here I am, with a new turantula that might be around 3 years old and female (that's what she told me anyway).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    688.5 KB · Views: 24

Thistles

3 Year Member
Whoa that's a big spider! Either she's about to molt or drop a sac or she needs to go on a diet! Congratulations on the new friend!

Thistles

3 Year Member
By the way, the incoming molt thing necessitates this warning. Tarantulas flip over on their backs to molt. If you find the spider lying on its back, DO NOT THROW IT AWAY. IT IS NOT DEAD.

I know so many newbies who have done that and it's just heartbreaking.

If you find it on its back, just leave it alone and check back later. Don't feed it or mess with it for a couple weeks after, either.

Aragog

3 Year Member
Excellent first spider, she definitely has a molt coming. And welcome to the forum.
That's what I've been thinking. Should I just leave her alone for a while until she does? I've bees trying to feed her every other day but so far she hasn't. She also has been producing silk since I've got her.

Thank you

Aragog

3 Year Member
By the way, the incoming molt thing necessitates this warning. Tarantulas flip over on their backs to molt. If you find the spider lying on its back, DO NOT THROW IT AWAY. IT IS NOT DEAD.

I know so many newbies who have done that and it's just heartbreaking.

If you find it on its back, just leave it alone and check back later. Don't feed it or mess with it for a couple weeks after, either.
Thank you!

Latest posts