• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first T. - c. versicolor

Wayne Rowley

Hi there,

My wife, a lifelong arachnophobe has now said that I can have a T! I've been interested and researching T husbandry for a year now, and over the last 6 months she has also shown a lot of interest. So a couple of days ago we went to the pet shop and came home with a 5cm c. versicolor juvenile T.

IMG_2610.jpeg

He/she came in a plastic jar with coco fibre and good cross-ventilation but no cork bark hide. I added a small strip of cork bark, and a water dish, but found working through the narrow opening of the jar difficult. So yesterday I built it a new enclosure using an air-tight food container, drilling the sides to provide cross ventilation:

IMG_2616.jpeg

IMG_2618.jpeg

Rehousing was easy - a gentle tap with a straw and she walked up out of the jar and into the new enclosure.

IMG_2620.jpeg

After spending 24 hours sat on the side he/she has now wandered off behind the cork bark and has started webbing up.

Wayne

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nice one, Wayne
Avicularia sp tend to web up at the top, keep an eye on that.
How big and tall is the new enclosure?
Can you post pics of the entire setup, please?

Wayne Rowley

Nice one, Wayne
Avicularia sp tend to web up at the top, keep an eye on that.
How big and tall is the new enclosure?
Can you post pics of the entire setup, please?

Here is the enclosure after I built it, but before I added the water pot and spider:

IMG_2613.jpeg

IMG_2614.jpeg

It is 9cmx9cmx20cm including the lid.

The T has moved behind the cord bark and webbed up one side and the top, between the cork bark and the side. I can open the lid without affecting its web, at the moment anyway, though that may change if it webs more.

Wayne

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looks cozy.
That enclosure size could last till almost adulthood.

Lids like that concern me, but I'm particular. I like holes in the lid for easy watering and air exchange.

Just make sure you provide an easy to maintain water dish that's always and easily fillable.

Latest posts