• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first slings!

KhoanScart

The pet shop near my house got a bunch of baby B. Smithi's and I could not help myself.

I picked up two 1/4 inch baby spiders, doubling my tarantula count to four. I'm still new to the hobby so I've obviously never kept slings before, but I did find an indepth sling care guide on Tom's Big Spiders site. I also have a copy of the Tarantula Keeper's Guide and I also have all you wonderful people to turn to for advice. Still a little anxious since they're so tiny and fragile but I feel fairly confident in my husbandry.

I guess the only question I have at the moment is when I can give them water dishes. At a quarter of an inch they seem far too little for one, but I really want to make sure I give them one as soon as possible. I live in the desert and even though these are an arid species I want to make sure they don't get dehydrated. The attendant at the pet shop said they get misted about once a week but I'm wondering if twice would be acceptable.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congrats on the new arrivals.
You can just dribble a little water down the side of the container but if there is space to put a water bowl in then you can use a small Lego brick or the bubble that medicine tablets come in. Tarantulas won't drown, their hairs trap air that keeps them afloat.