• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My brazilian black is buried for too long.

pavlos

3 Year Member
So guys, my juvenile brazilian black tarantula (i have him for like 7-8 months), is buried for 6 months now. Fortunately i can see him moving since his den is at the edge of the small aquarium i have for him. (basically i can see him underground through transparent plastic). But all this time he hasn't molted yet, not came out for food. What is the longest your juveniles stayed buried ? Let me know guys by reading other similar situations will make me calm down :D Cheers

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
This species, in my short experience, will become a pet hole if you allow it. At first I gave mine a deep den, and it literally never came out, even after molting in it. Now, it has a small piece of cork bark with just enough room to hide in, and I see it all the time. If you allow your burrowers to do so, they become a memory. Also, if you feed it a lil less, it'll stay at the opening of its den, waiting on prey, to hunt, so you can see it that way. If u think it's alive and healthy, wait to feed it til it goes to the opening of its den and try to get it out with prey

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had mine forced to burrow against the side of the enclosure, he ate twice after i got him if i recall correctly, then burrowed away until he molted a week or so ago. Now he has a hide in the corner and I dug out just a bit below it for his 'shelter'. he sits in that depression and is happy and content, and when my order of pinhead lats arrives this week we'll see if he eats ;)

pavlos

3 Year Member
I had mine forced to burrow against the side of the enclosure, he ate twice after i got him if i recall correctly, then burrowed away until he molted a week or so ago. Now he has a hide in the corner and I dug out just a bit below it for his 'shelter'. he sits in that depression and is happy and content, and when my order of pinhead lats arrives this week we'll see if he eats ;)
nice!!!!
UPDATE: mine just molted... it's weird i didn't think premolt would take 6 months... Imagine he was upside down, and i had forgotten that they do that when they molt and i thought he was dead for a minute :p That mother****er got prettier.. been 2 days though and he still hasn't come out of his den yet. He just sits there with his dead skin !

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
nice!!!!
UPDATE: mine just molted... it's weird i didn't think premolt would take 6 months... Imagine he was upside down, and i had forgotten that they do that when they molt and i thought he was dead for a minute :p That mother****er got prettier.. been 2 days though and he still hasn't come out of his den yet. He just sits there with his dead skin !
could take weeks to come out after a molt. When mine molted he just pushed the molt out and hid away for 2 weeks or so till he got hungry. My other Grammostola are the same.