• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Multiple Isopod Species in T Enclosure

Hagraven

I have curently a small number of Dwarf White Isopods in my Chilobrachys enclosure, and they are doing well (I swear my T is made curious by them and webbed extensively overtop of them!)

I am wondering if introducing Dwarf Purple Isopods into the same enclosure would be safe for all inhabitants?
My priority is of course my Tarantula, but have you any experience in mixing isopods species?

It should be said that my reasons for wanting to add these purplish cuties is largely visual and not overwhelmingly important! Appreciate your thoughts!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Isopods like protein. But providing you feed them. Then the T should be at no risk at all, especially with dwarf species. But personally, I keep numbers low in my T enclosures.

I am far from knowledgeable about Isopods. But I do keep a couple of species. And, in general, it is OK to keep multiple species together, providing they both need the same or similar environment. However, if you were wanting to keep the Isopods as a species, rather than as a clean up crew, or similar. Then numbers need to be balanced to prevent one species from being the dominant & suppressing the other. But that will not be an issue for you.

Google suggests that both dwarf purple & white are Trichorhins & both seem to require similar environments. So they should do well together. And some species seem to find their own individual space within enclosures due to slightly differing environments across an enclosure.

From an aesthetic perspective, I am not sure adding dwarf purples will add anything much. As Isopods are rarely seen inside the enclosure.

Hagraven

Isopods like protein. But providing you feed them. Then the T should be at no risk at all, especially with dwarf species. But personally, I keep numbers low in my T enclosures.

I am far from knowledgeable about Isopods. But I do keep a couple of species. And, in general, it is OK to keep multiple species together, providing they both need the same or similar environment. However, if you were wanting to keep the Isopods as a species, rather than as a clean up crew, or similar. Then numbers need to be balanced to prevent one species from being the dominant & suppressing the other. But that will not be an issue for you.

Google suggests that both dwarf purple & white are Trichorhins & both seem to require similar environments. So they should do well together. And some species seem to find their own individual space within enclosures due to slightly differing environments across an enclosure.

From an aesthetic perspective, I am not sure adding dwarf purples will add anything much. As Isopods are rarely seen inside the enclosure.
I really appreciate it. I had been reading that dwarf white isopods are known to out-compete many other isopod species but couldn't find a solid answer. Cheers

Latest posts