• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moulting Or Something Else?

Isilwen

3 Year Member
Checking on my b. smithi today I am noticing a larger darker patch. I have not fed her in almost two weeks I believe. Is she moulting?

The first picture is from thirteen days ago. I haven't fed her in almost two weeks. The second and third are from today.

IMG_20200313_112743.jpg

IMG_20200326_142101.jpg

IMG_20200326_140423.jpg

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Imminent, which in Brachypelma speak means anything from now to a week or 2 away :)
My sling looks exactly likes yours does now and has done for the last week! However, over the last couple of days it's quit all usual activity so I'm expecting the moult to happen any time.

Isilwen

3 Year Member
Imminent, which in Brachypelma speak means anything from now to a week or 2 away :)
My sling looks exactly likes yours does now and has done for the last week! However, over the last couple of days it's quit all usual activity so I'm expecting the moult to happen any time.

Okay, cool. Thank you!

E

ExMember

Okay, cool. Thank you!

Don't panic if it doesn't happen right away. I have every Brachypelma except smithi (?!? maybe...waiting for the little one to moult.)
and have seen my boehmei turn black and moult in 3 days. My hamorii sling takes like 2 months between refusing food and moulting.

The time frame is the spiders and can be nervewracking to us keepers. But always remember that the tarantula knows how to be a tarantula better than we do :)

Isilwen

3 Year Member
Don't panic if it doesn't happen right away. I have every Brachypelma except smithi (?!? maybe...waiting for the little one to moult.)
and have seen my boehmei turn black and moult in 3 days. My hamorii sling takes like 2 months between refusing food and moulting.

The time frame is the spiders and can be nervewracking to us keepers. But always remember that the tarantula knows how to be a tarantula better than we do :)

I will do my best not to wrack my brains about it. I honestly wasn't expecting it to even moult that fast after getting it a little over a month ago.

What I am most excited about is getting into it's final enclosure as I have some plans to make it natural looking using excavator clay and such.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I will do my best not to wrack my brains about it. I honestly wasn't expecting it to even moult that fast after getting it a little over a month ago.

What I am most excited about is getting into it's final enclosure as I have some plans to make it natural looking using excavator clay and such.

If you do a final enclosure and use a glass one it’ll decompose before a smithi of that size gets into it. Even if it’s male you still have years to wait.

Latest posts