• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mould in tank help!!

Why is mould coming in my tank

• Any response please

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All advice appreciated

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Antonygill91

3 Year Member
I am a beginner I have had a Chilean rose for around a month now and keep finding mould in the tank I don't know why??? Ive been to pet shop and they say it's because I am putting to much water in his water bowl but I haven't touched his water bowl. Is humidity is high also it's around 75% and it wiant get lower is this because where I am I'm experiencing a hot summer? I have changed his substrate to some ready made substrate you can buy from pet stores ( Pete ) cleaned the tank with correct cleaning products ( from pet stores ) and put fresh Pete in around 6 inch deep and it's come back can anyone help why it keeps coming back?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
At 75% humidity, you will have an ongoing battle. I mix vermiculite into the substrate (about 30%) to aid in draining and because it is organically sterile. I would probably change it all out and start over and monitor things from there. I have recently been testing isopods in my T. blondi tank because they LOVE humidity and moisture. So far, the isopods seem to be doing their job as a cleaner crew.

adz07

3 Year Member
i was going to say the same about humidity, from research i did it said ideally aim fro around 60 to 65% humidity but i am new to this myself so i could be wrong, i have my substrate practically dry and rely on the water dish for humidity

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Your rosea should have bone dry substrate, and a good amount of ventilation. Only moisture should be a shallow water dish. One of the last T enclosures you should be getting mold in. Do you have any pics of the set-up?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have never owned a Chilean but I believe that both adz07 and MatthewM1 are both right. My research has shown that they desire a 65% humidity level in the burrow but it is not desirable in the environment (being from a desert climate). Burrowers use webbing to help seal in the humidity so I would go with MatthewM1's recommendation. If the T struggles during a molt you may want to overflow the water dish but until then, probably should keep it dry. That will definitely end your mold problem. Unless it is a sling of course o_O. Aren't T's fun? Luckily the forum exists for tough questions like these.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Chileans are desert taratnulas so they need a completely dry cage. Keep the water dish full, though. Also the sub should be dry. Only time you should add moisture is during premolt, when you can dampen the sub around the water dish until the T molts.

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
I agree, the dryer the better for this particular T. any Enclosure pics? is it plastic? if so add ventilation holes top and bottom on the sides. Sodering iron is great for this and it cauterizes the wholes leaving no sharp points that could hurt the T. if it is a glass enclosure does it have a screen? do you have tape on this screen to maintain the humidity? if so remove some of it. They are desert T's like previously mentioned and I do not know of many Humid Deserts. I live in Arizona and I do nothing fancy to my T's housing and it is happy as can be.

Antonygill91

3 Year Member
I have recently put the t in a wood viv with glass at the front, I baked the substrate for 30 mins to dry out and soo far all is ok

Antonygill91

3 Year Member
Sorry for late response

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53