• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moss

Down with OBT

3 Year Member
Who does moss on top of their substrate?
for look/functionality or both?
what's the requirements? ie. Will it grow anywhere?

pictures please

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use moss to help hold humidity in the enclosures. I use them in all of my tropical set-ups. They are great around the water dish to help soak up the overflow. Be careful that the moss does not actually touch the water in the bowl. One little strand and your dish will be empty by morning as they really soak up the water. Generally, mine does not grow per say. It dries and when dampened, it recharges. It also improves the overall look of the enclosure if done right. There are many kinds of moss available. My best success has been with the moss from Jamie's T's. It has the best texture and durability that I have seen. Can't seem to find that anywhere else.

I always end up buying bright moss and lichens at the reptile show. Great colors are available. However, once they lose their luster, they are an eye sore. But, I never learn my lesson here and continue to replace it with more when I can.