• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Molt - changed her mind?

WolfieKate

Hi, We went to the UK inverts show yesterday and i was pleased to bring home just two Tarantulas. One is a Davus Pentaloris, juvie female. I rehoused her last night and left her to settle in. At 7am she was on her back and now 2 hours or so on she’s righted herself.

Ive not got much molting experience, the last one that tried was a sling and it died, I guess this is just a one those things? So maybe she felt she was ready to molt, lay there for two hours but then wasn’t? Thanks!

WolfieKate

Rubbish, I’ve just checked her and she’s having a bad moult i think. Her carapace is partially separated and i can see her white insides but nothing else. She looks like she’s dying. Should i put her in the freezer or let her go naturally. I’m a beginner and my spiders are having bad luck. Not had a successful molt yet.

siege

Tarantula Club Member
Rubbish, I’ve just checked her and she’s having a bad moult i think. Her carapace is partially separated and i can see her white insides but nothing else. She looks like she’s dying. Should i put her in the freezer or let her go naturally. I’m a beginner and my spiders are having bad luck. Not had a successful molt yet.
No, wait for her to go. Take her tank into the bathroom and run a hot shower (not put her in the shower) and leave her in the humid bathroom in the dark. Don’t touch her, don’t bother her. My T. Blondi took over nine hours to molt. That is the best thing you can do to encourage a successful molt when they are having a hard time.

No, wait for her to go. Take her tank into the bathroom and run a hot shower (not put her in the shower) and leave her in the humid bathroom in the dark. Don’t touch her, don’t bother her. My T. Blondi took over nine hours to molt. That is the best thing you can do to encourage a successful molt when they are having a hard time.
That’s seems like wonderful advice..

WolfieKate

Thank you. She’d climbed her cork bark hide and was slipping wedged between the bark and the side of the enclosure still molting. So I intervened at this point. I gently lay her on the substrate on her side and removed everything from the enclosure except her water dish and ran a shower. Thank you so much. I left it in her hands.

She made it. Right now she up on her feet and walking around. So that was my first succesful molt. I’m hoping the next is less erm, interesting. Thank you so much for the support.

WolfieKate

7am on her back. 1pm lying on the substrate having finally got her legs out. Thanks Shaky! I always wanted a Davus Pentaloris…

Attachments

• IMG_20241014_073015_Original.jpeg
    IMG_20241014_073015_Original.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 907
  • IMG_20241014_112309_Original.jpeg
    IMG_20241014_112309_Original.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 510

siege

Tarantula Club Member
Thank you. She’d climbed her cork bark hide and was slipping wedged between the bark and the side of the enclosure still molting. So I intervened at this point. I gently lay her on the substrate on her side and removed everything from the enclosure except her water dish and ran a shower. Thank you so much. I left it in her hands.

She made it. Right now she up on her feet and walking around. So that was my first succesful molt. I’m hoping the next is less erm, interesting. Thank you so much for the support.
I am so happy to hear this! The first molting experience is stressful enough without them doing ditzy things like wedging themselves between things. Don’t try to feed her for at least five days. Let her harden up. You have a long and loving future together