• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mirror Patch query

WolfieKate

Hello, I had Grammastola on my wishlist. A local reptile shop had a female G Iheringi for sale, not full size. The shop was quite noisy, her tank was way too big and she was at toddler glass banging height and I’d seen her in July and I felt bad for her. So I bought her home. (Rescue Rita as she’s now known). She is so beautiful, eats well, but like many hobby G Iheringi she has a large patch on her abdomen. It‘s not bald, but the hairs are short and blonde. I can see it defines her urticating hairs and I’m assuming she will always have this patch even if she molts? One you tuber said its a “mirror patch” to warn predators of the hairs. Another theorised it reflects heat! Under the torch it’s quite shiny! Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20241009_090737_Original.jpeg
    IMG_20241009_090737_Original.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1,252
  • IMG_20241010_062606_Original.jpeg
    IMG_20241010_062606_Original.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,254
  • IMG_20241010_084725_Original.jpeg
    IMG_20241010_084725_Original.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,455

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Grammastolas are not normally the biggest hair flickers in the world. But all you have is a bald spot where your girl has flicked her hair. And when she molts she will have a complete body of hair again.

The fact that "tubers" did not instantly know what it was, is a sad reflection on their knowledge. As it is perfectly normal & something that happens to most new world species, even occasionally those like Grammastolas, who do not normally flick much hair.

It could be that you have a Grammastola that likes to flick. Or it could be as a result of her being overly stressed at the pet shop & thus needing to flick more often there. Her next molt & if she keeps it all, will tell.