• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Microscopes with cameras

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have been thinking recently about investing in a microscooe that will take pictures (either hand held or via USB) mainly to hopefully sex young spiders a lot more quickly but also to look at the finer details like hairs, claws, fangs and eyes etc from molts with a view of taking close up digital images.
Question....do any forum members use such things, what is your experience and any recommendations etc. If you have some photos you have taken using such a device I would love to see. Thanks for looking ☺

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yup, an amazing thing to own especially if you have a breeding program going on. ;)

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use a standard lab microscope and set my phone on the eyepiece. I have looked at some digital scopes, but this works great for me.
Sample Aphonopelma sp New River:
With light and without light
New River spermatheca 6-11-11.jpg
New River spermatheca2 6-11-11.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a USB microscope I use. They're very simple to use, and I believe all the USB ones have photo and video. I paid like 60 bucks for a middle quality one, you can get them for like 20 to 30 bucks though, I've heard the cheaper ones get the job done just fine. They definitely are a good investment:)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And here's a shot I just took this morning when I found my P antinous had molted. Sold as a sexed female, and now confirmed 100% with my trusty microscope :) Gaze upon the raised fists of victory and sexiness. Actually it looks more like a frog face..
spermathecae.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks everyone. ...got my eye closely on a few (pardon the pun). I guess no need for lab quality equipment. Funnily enough, I got one of the cheap eye glass currency versions and was looking at my a.versicolor sling molt that I keep in a tiny vial. Awesome detail even with that so deffo going to get a proper one. I have seen a couple with a monitor on the top that swivels which I am really interested in as no need to hook up directly to laptop (although option is there).

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use a standard lab microscope and set my phone on the eyepiece. I have looked at some digital scopes, but this works great for me.
Sample Aphonopelma sp New River:
With light and without light
View attachment 14798 View attachment 14800
OK, so I bought a cheapo £3 throw away mini microscope (currency checker) that is about the size of my thumb and then put my mobile over the eye piece to see what even these cheap and nasty microscopes can come up with. I tried it on the framed molt of a. Geniculata and to be honest .....pleasantly surprised. Here are her eyes! Deffo going to get a much better microscope now but given the pictures that are capable with putting your phone against the eye piece I am wondering whether it is worthwhile getting one with built in camera......decisions decisions....lol. Thanks for your input and also to @MassExodus too ☺. Let me know what you think of the pic.
20160307_210157.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And here's a shot I just took this morning when I found my P antinous had molted. Sold as a sexed female, and now confirmed 100% with my trusty microscope :) Gaze upon the raised fists of victory and sexiness. Actually it looks more like a frog face..View attachment 14829
Just as an aside to the newer people who might look at the picture, the spermathecae shown is what one looks like on a P antinous. Different species have different shaped spermathecae, as you can see in Scoolman's pic.

bookac

3 Year Member
Yesterday i have my first try to take a picture from my B. Albo molt, and i did it with Cannon 600d + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 (Lens) . i have to put the molt on the ground, and using a tripod i shot with 250mm..

Y4df9IN.jpg

This is the actual size, but you can digital zoom it even more, because it has resolution.. Click on the picture :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And here's a shot I just took this morning when I found my P antinous had molted. Sold as a sexed female, and now confirmed 100% with my trusty microscope :) Gaze upon the raised fists of victory and sexiness. Actually it looks more like a frog face..View attachment 14829
rofl, it really does look sort of like a little peeper peeking out of a knothole on a tree branch somewhere :p