• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Megaphobema mesomelas (Costa Rican Red Leg)

Doc Miller

3 Year Member
Anyone else working with Costa Rican Red Legs

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
I bought one male and one females both juvie some weeks ago. Male has molted, female still in her sealed hole. They are gorgeous! I'm trying to keep both of them at 23C maximum, less whenever possible (planning to keep them in my cellar for summer months).

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Got an unsexed one about an inch. It is so aggressive.....lol. attacks water when you put it in. Went to get its last moult out with tweezers and it launched itself at them too! Crickets never stand a chance.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Only have one M. mesomelas at this time. A young female. She is rather calm and has never shown aggression.
Plan to get another "one or two" M. mesomelas at some point.
Absolutely love this species.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Is it true they need to be kept almost wet?
It is advised by most keepers. For me, I don't have enough experience to tell, but I try to keep mine extra moist with lots of ventilation. Will see if it works. But as the temps are rather low, it's a little bit easier to keep the moisture high.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It is advised by most keepers. For me, I don't have enough experience to tell, but I try to keep mine extra moist with lots of ventilation. Will see if it works. But as the temps are rather low, it's a little bit easier to keep the moisture high.

Sounds like an interesting species, I may have to try it out. Thanks Nicolas.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Is it true they need to be kept almost wet?

I don't think "almost wet" is very good for most any terrestrial/burrower.
I keep my M. mesomelas with moisture, to her substrate, but one would not be able to squeeze any water out of it.
There is good ventilation as well.
Her temps are usually between 70 - 75 degrees fahrenheit (sometimes +/-).
She has been thriving.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't think "almost wet" is very good for most any terrestrial/burrower.
I keep my M. mesomelas with moisture, to her substrate, but one would not be able to squeeze any water out of it.
There is good ventilation as well.
Her temps are usually between 70 - 75 degrees fahrenheit (sometimes +/-).
She has been thriving.
It sounds like they're care is similar to Pamphobeteus or Theraphosa when you put it that way..I wonder why the threads I read didn't just say that..:confused::D

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
It sounds like they're care is similar to Pamphobeteus or Theraphosa when you put it that way..I wonder why the threads I read didn't just say that..:confused::D
Yeah, not so different, you're right. Maybe M mesomelas are more fragile about temps and have to be kept cooler than Pamphobeteus or Theraphosa (that being said, a famous breeder JM Verdez advise to keep Theraphosa rather cold too).

Some people believe that it's the same with Megaphobema robustum: low temps as they are Megaphobema. But it's not true: M robustum come from a very different climate than M mesomelas and should be kept with same temperatures as other tropical spp (23-28C).

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah, not so different, you're right. Maybe M mesomelas are more fragile about temps and have to be kept cooler than Pamphobeteus or Theraphosa (that being said, a famous breeder JM Verdez advise to keep Theraphosa rather cold too).

Some people believe that it's the same with Megaphobema robustum: low temps as they are Megaphobema. But it's not true: M robustum come from a very different climate than M mesomelas and should be kept with same temperatures as other tropical spp (23-28C).

I have heard the same. That it's best to keep megaphobema at cooler temps. Wasn't thinking of locality but a few of my friends in the hobby keep this species (mesomelas) in the 60°f range and they are doing quite well with them.

Doc Miller

3 Year Member
No,, I use a mix of 2/3rds fine grade vermiculite to 1/3rd Coco fiber. In some of those pics is course grade (all I could get at the time and was glade for it to be gone, just didn't pack well.
I have used 100% but my mix to 1/2 -n- 1/2 looks better.

Doc Miller

3 Year Member
I've had 8 M mesomelas , 3 back in 2001 to 2004, sold them. Then I got 5 slings in Jan of 2016. Lost 1
I live in central FL and have kept them as any other T in my collection.
My T room ranges from mid to high 70's.
I've done nothing extra except keeping them more humid like my T.blondi's & Pampho's
Never have I kept them any cooler than anything else.
I also have 1.2 M. velvetosoma & 1.2 M. robustum

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've had 8 M mesomelas , 3 back in 2001 to 2004, sold them. Then I got 5 slings in Jan of 2016. Lost 1
I live in central FL and have kept them as any other T in my collection.
My T room ranges from mid to high 70's.
I've done nothing extra except keeping them more humid like my T.blondi's & Pampho's
Never have I kept them any cooler than anything else.
I also have 1.2 M. velvetosoma & 1.2 M. robustum

Nice future breeders you've got there,Doc. :)

Doc Miller

3 Year Member
The M. velvetosoma could be at anytime, just waiting for the male to molt.
My M. robustum's I've had for 5 years, Nice big females. Need to find a male or pick up 1/2 doz slings.
M mesomelas going to be a while for those.3 to 4 inchers at the moment

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I wish you the best of luck in your breeding projects!

Latest posts