• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Meal worms

siege

Tarantula Club Member
I always feed my T’s Dubia, crickets and green horns. I notice many people use meal worms as well. I’ve always shied away from them because I have seen them chew through the plastic lid many times. I worry they will literally bite my T and cause harm. Has this ever been a problem for anyone?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use mealworms for all of my slings. And them chewing is never a problem. As you need to behead them to use them as feed. As otherwise, they burrow down & thus not only do you lose them as a food source, you also risk them reappearing a few weeks later as a darkling beetle.

I chop the head off using a pair of scissors & that gives my slings an easy way in to the soft inner. To feed dubias, you should be crushing the head to stop them from burrowing too. And both roaches & mealworms continue to move for a very good 24 hours, so it does nothing to stop feeding response.

With dubias, I drop them in on their back for best feeding response. As like that, their little legs move fast & gets that desired feeding response.

With mealworms, I feed all of my slings whole mealworms. That makes them easy to find & remove.

Latest posts