• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mature Male Anxieties

Hagraven

I was hesitant to post this as so many of my concerns have been settled on their own, and patience has proven the best council.

But...I paired my Chilobrachys male on October 27th, and it went well! However my male has not seemed comfortable since.

He dissapeared behind webbing for a solid week after the pairing (given his estimated old age and his coloring I wondered if he was attempting to molt again) and when he finally emerged he was holding his legs up, and as you can see, spent time in the corner opposite his hide.

20221103_152611.jpg

20221103_152627.jpg

In the days to follow he has kept the "legs up" posture, and has refused food where before (as recently as October 25th) he was eating well, though I know it's not uncommon for mature males to lose interest in food.

20221105_122708.jpg

I heard from a keeper that their mature male had, before passing, refused food and began to adopt this posture regularly. Though I am prepared to see him go, I want to make sure I can keep him as comfortable as possible in the meantime.

1. He has access to water 24/7
2. He has peace and quiet throughout the day
3. His abdomen is plump

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for your time

Hagraven

^ I should add that his substrate in chosen areas is kept moist, when not misted, but I'm trying not to be excessive with him and cage maintenance recently

Hagraven

Update on the little guy,

Some days I'll see him looking comfortable, (yesterday):

20221108_205700.jpg

and the next (this morning) he'll be pressed up in the corner, and with no changes made in or around his enclosure.

20221109_063729.jpg

Also, he's keeping put, no pacing.

This all make sense as his winter?
Or am I missing something obvious that would help him? Really appreciate your thoughts.