• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mason Jars?

Vulash

Has anyone used Mason jars for enclosures? I have cheaper deli cups and a few more expensive enclosures - testing the waters so to speak. This isn't a need thing. I was thinking, however, that it could be really cool to use mason jars. For Arboreal they'd be great, all the way up to a 1-gallon pickle jar. And the short squat ones could work for smaller slings. Obviously, it won't work for some setups and won't work for large adults. I'll probably try drilling holes in a few test jars in a week or so, but I'm curious if anyone else has gone this route.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
With arborial enclosures needing good air circulation, top to bottom. I would personally not use mason jars. Or not unless I could add ventilation holes in the side of the jars.

I have used plastic sweet jars. They are cheap to buy, look good & are easy to add plenty of air holes to.

Vulash

I'm planning to add ventilation with a bit made for glass. I have a drill press too I can use. The process may end up taking longer than I want to deal with, but we'll see with a few test runs!